Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stability control fault 2011 sportwagon sv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Sportwagon SV6 SII
Hi All,

I have been looking around online here and other forums but haven’t come across a similar issue in this sequence. I'm having some issues with my 2011 Holden VE Sportwagon SV6 Series 2. It has done about 71,000kms.

TL DR; car faulted with errors coming up on the dash screen “stability control fault”, then “power reduced”, then “safety mode active”. Car showed a couple of error codes, P0641 and P0193. Took it to Holden, they fixed it. 2 days later it showed above errors again. Left it. Tried after a month, worked fine for 900kms. Then error came back. Car barely idles. Here I am…

In May last year while driving to work the car showed a check engine light whilst driving. So I pulled over, and checked a few things (oil, car temp, coolant) all of which seemed fine. Came back later that night and drove it home. A few days later a friend brought his car computer around and it showed a P0641 error (sensor reference voltage a circuit/open). Tried a fair bit of google searching, all of which didn’t really show any concerns. We cleared the code, that got rid of the light and all was fine.

About 6 months ago the car displayed an error on the dash screen whilst driving. The error said that there was a “stability control fault”, then “power reduced”, then “safety mode active”. Car went into a very slow driving capacity (of which I have now learned that is a limp home mode), so again I pulled over, checked some things. Started the car and it fired up fine. No errors. No lights. The car sat at work for a few days and then I tried to start it up one night and no go. The same errors came up “stability control fault”, then “power reduced”, then “safety mode active”. Car wouldn’t crank. There was no flat battery clicking sound, just nothing. Left it for the night, then tried again 24 hours later. Same errors as the day before.

I got it towed home as it was past 5pm, and over the coming days I looked online but didn’t find much apart from low battery readings giving the car computer possible issues. I went and replaced the battery hoping this would solve the issue, the battery was original so somewhat on the way out. It didn’t fix a thing.

So within a couple of days had it towed to Holden. It sat there for a few days as there were busy. After getting the car back and 900 dollars later it was fine. Their invoice says they found some error codes (of which I have now worked out to be P0193 fuel rail pressure sensor a circuit high and the original P0641), a bad radiator cap and lower radiator hose. These were replaced along with the suspect fuel rail sensor. Took the car for a bit of a drive and was running normally. Happy days.

Two days later, literally two days, my old man was driving the car and while driving it just died. Engine cut and was luckily driving down a side street and could pull over safely. The same errors above then flashed on the cars dash screen when he tried to start it.

Towed the car home and then spat the dummy at Holden, they said bring it in and we will take a look at it. I questioned if Holden will be paying for this as I shelled out almost a thousand bucks and to have the same error pop up days later was just unacceptable. Not surprisingly they said no. Even their invoice says this is the first step in diagnosis, if the error reappears it will require further investigation. Sounds like they have no idea what’s wrong with it, and just got lucky with what they did. A number of things weren’t put back properly on the car. Engine cover, engine noise dampener which is stuffed and bent, battery cover. I was pretty crapped off…

I left the car for a couple of months as I was going away, so it sat out the front of home. When I came back I tried to turn the car over, and it started. It was fine. No errors or lights. It ran fine. Took it around the block and running as normal. Maybe it was some bad fuel? Given that they replaced a fuel sensor… I dunno. I was dumbfounded. Car ran for 900kms when the error returned. Same thing as before, “stability control fault”, then “power reduced”, then “safety mode active”. Car would barely start and when it did was very rough especially at idle. When it did start up and I revved it to about 2000, it sounded fine.

I took it to a local shop who plugged their stronger scanner tool on it, they couldn’t really pin point any errors or codes I didn’t already have. He didn’t mention it may be the car computer…ugh. But he didn’t seem certain. Since then I have started it a couple of times, checked plugs for corrosion, abs sensors, wiring looms… a lot of time wasted. But still showing errors.

This has lead me to post here. A friend mentioned to stick it up to the Holden’s brains trust and see what they can muster up. Hoping I can find a member with a similar issue and or some advice, point me in the right direction. I’m not trying to avoid taking it back to a dealer as it may well have to go back, but hoping I can fault find and possibly do it myself.

Thank you for reading.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I think neither fuel pump nor stability control at fault but loose connector harness to ECU. At least that's what sounds like.
Disconnect, inspect, clean (google), dialectic grease, secure connection.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys. I will try this. I have checked over the ecu in terms of the connections, but certainly not cleaning. I assume a contact cleaner will do?
Can the ecu be opened up at all? or is that not a good idea?
Appreciate the help.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
ecu sealed, and if you could open not a good idea unless you are skilled for it

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi Guys
Some good news from the weekend, but some questions too...
The car is now running, free from errors and sounds great.

After doing a bit of spray with the contract cleaner, just about all electrical connection i could find I did another scan, and it showed a cylinder 2 missfire, along with the stability control fault. So i checked the coil pack which was fine, nice strong spark. Then checked the spark plug and it was as black as a dogs guts. Was very oily, and i'm guessing that is why there was no spark/ignition? Gave it a quick clean with a rag and it fired up. Hopefully this is the end of it...
I checked all plugs, why would this be the only plug to gum up? All the other plugs are a grey/white colour which seems normal from a bit of searching.
I also took the butterfly assembly off and cleaned it too, it was fairly carboned up. The stability control fault hasn't come back yet, could a cylinder misfire lead to a stability control fault? Is it all linked somehow?

The car is almost due for a service, any suggestions for removing carbon build up? Is it worth doing new plugs at this time too?
Thank you for all the suggestions thus far.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Have you had the battery checked ? If not get a suitably qualified Auto Electrician (or Auto Club mechanic (RACV etc if a member) to perform a Load Test. it's the only accurate way to ascertain the real capacity of your battery. They don't last forever and failing batteries (diminishing voltage capacity) are responsible for triggering many error codes in cars including Commodores. Good luck.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the comment Benboy.
I haven't had it checked but i renewed it, from the original, less than 12months ago.

So the car has been running fine thus far since the last post. It has done almost 500kms, as i usually catch the train most days to work. Awfully strange. But i appreciate all the comments. Many thanks.
If anything does happen i will report back.

Ginnypov

Reaction score
Members Ride
V6 sportswagon
Hi there, it's been 3 years, by any chance do you have an update?