Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 1 (OTR / headers) tune results

Nefarious78

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series II Calais V 6.2L
Hi

Got my vf2 6.2l CALAIS tuned w/tri-y 1 3/8 headers, 200 cel cats & vcm OTR

Havent driven tuned car before but after 6 or so months there are a few things im not sure are in my head, expectations are wrong or just gotten used to.

Cars auto and wheels dont spin on take off. Torque certainly there around 3.5-4.5rpm but also feel power comes in late (not till at least 120-130 according to graph ;) )
Anyway anyone who has comments or can show their dyno graph for similar would be great.

Otherwise might think about second tuners opinion and potential cam upgrade.

Another note is was tuned 38-40 degrees heat not sure what effect would be.

Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Modern car, would largely attribute it to traction control and anti-abuse.

Having said that, tuning isn't a tick box exercise, lots of variables and lots of differences between individual tuners. Guessing a lot go for numbers at WOT rather than part throttle response, particularly with Commos. If you're not happy you should see what they can change for you, although six months later might be a bit long.

Nefarious78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Modern car, would largely attribute it to traction control and anti-abuse.

Having said that, tuning isn't a tick box exercise, lots of variables and lots of differences between individual tuners. Guessing a lot go for numbers at WOT rather than part throttle response, particularly with Commos. If you're not happy you should see what they can change for you, although six months later might be a bit long.

Thanks. Yeah took it back had a hole in left cat so that didnt help. Have shot a msg and will get them to check again.

Wasnt really asked what i wanted out of it, but being noob wouldnt have known anyway.

Looking at dyno chart the AFR seems odd comparing to others on dyno thread. The AFR is around 15.3 which seems lean and drops right down to 12.5 over the run.

Response to me seems poor but its probably the way i drive it. Might be used to the power too. Getting "285rwkw" but that differs on dynos as you noted.

Reputable tuner i am led to believe though. Not naming them as may come across negative.

Cheers

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
you can expect 285-301rwkw from OTR, headers, full exhaust and a tune.

you could expect 325-350rwkw with the addition of a cam.

Nefarious78

Reaction score
Members Ride
you can expect 285-301rwkw from OTR, headers, full exhaust and a tune.

you could expect 325-350rwkw with the addition of a cam.

Thanks for reply. Yeah considering cam but mostly to get more torque rather than top end rwkw. Supercharger obvious choice but then just moving into crazy territory

Atm got really poor fuel economy not sure why. Getting less than 400km to a tank driving like a grandma (lot of short trips though) will get tuner to look at it again and discuss cam i think.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car

Blue line is just OTR, headers, exhaust and tune. The red line is with cam and another tune. 438rwhp and 743nm.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Thanks for reply. Getting less than 400km to a tank driving like a grandma (lot of short trips though)
You can expect that with a cam and the rest, but you shouldn't be there just yet... I get about 440km/tank with those numbers. Mostly driving in town.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Whose choice was it to tune on a 40 degree day? Tuner wasn't in Carrum Downs was he?

Nefarious78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Whose choice was it to tune on a 40 degree day? Tuner wasn't in Carrum Downs was he?

Nah wasnt in carrum downs ;)

Tuner was gonna wait but decided to tune it as it was gonna be hotter next day.

How much would this have an affect on tune ? Said probably wouldve got 290 rwkw on a cooler day but i just thought was passing comment.

Nefarious78

Reaction score
Members Ride

Blue line is just OTR, headers, exhaust and tune. The red line is with cam and another tune. 438rwhp and 743nm.

Cool thats a decent change. What cam if you dont mind saying ? Lumpy ? Ive still got stock exhast cat back w/bi modals. You have tri-y or 4 into 1's (1 3/8 or 1 7/8)