Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stage 2 cam

rhys375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
Hey guys, new to holden.

Could i ask a few noob questions, how much for a wade regrind on the v6's and how hard are they to install? with a ford its easy but then again its a single I6 so only one cam. what would a mechanic generally charge to remove and install them? And do you need to buy shims aswell?

A total cost of everything would be appreciated.

Cheers guys

p.s its for a vy ute V6

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
with more agressive cams wouldnt you have to replace other parts as well?

Possibly timing gear. Wade regrinds are about $250 from memory, it's a fair bit of work to change the cam, involes strip down to the heads, front cover off, timing gear off, radiator and air con gear out, then slide the cam out. Holden's only run 1 cam aswell, but i think it's more work on holdens because IIRC fords ran OHC?

If you can do the work yourself with a regrind it's not all that expensive, would work out cheaper than high ratio rockers. If you're paying someone to do it, it's a big job so you'll have to fork out.

rhys375

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ute
yer fords ran sohc, so i could do it myself easily with out getting tangled in plastic covers :p

o well im guessing it'll cost more than 700 so its probs not worth it, being a manual she goes fairly well at the moment anyway

cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
With the OP saying broken cam, maybe the bearings seized or spun and it broke the cam from lack of support, or maybe even just gouged the cam a bit.

I'm looking at putting a new large cam in my VX V6, sent a email to Wade seeing what they recommend, they sent a reply saying that there are no billets left in Australia, so I sent a new email asking when new one will be available. Also I'm going to put a double row timing chain in, conical spring, moly retains and locks. Maybe even touch up the heads a tiny bit, apparently the Ecotec heads are pretty damn good. I'll also be raising the compression to approximately 10.5:1 but I'll discuss this with the rebuilder.

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Tell him to just get 1.8 rockers to suit. That will change the dynamics of the stage 2 a bit ;). Talk to YT or Mace about it. When cams are changed, often lifters and springs are done as well, may as well do rocker upgrade on a milder cam.

hussy88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS acclaim / VX C2R
hey i'm lookin at upgrading my vs ecotech v6, i was wondering if anyone could recommend what'd be the best way to about it..i also was looking a a supercharger..
cheers ( newbie)

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Gday mate. Hit the advanced search option in the top right of the page. There are many threads on upgrades for your application!