Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stage 2 cam

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
ok so the other day i was talking to a mate and he was saying that his cars at the mechanic, apprently his cam is broken(never heard of them breaking before) anyway he said hes going to get a stage 2 cam put in keeping in mind that he knows less then me about this kind of this makes me wonder, anyway what i would like to know is what is a "stage 2 cam"? what difference does it make? what defines "stages" of cams?

cheers
michael

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
What model is it? I know there were cam issues with some of the first of the VN's, didn't think there was an issue with the later Buicks though.

Stage cams are just off the shelf cams, differences generally depend on the company. But people generally refer to Crow Cams when referring to stage cams, particularly for V6.

Check out the Crow Cams web page for more detailed information on their stage 2 cam. Personally, I found it a waste and wish i'd gone a custom ground Wade cam instead.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
What model is it? I know there were cam issues with some of the first of the VN's, didn't think there was an issue with the later Buicks though.

Stage cams are just off the shelf cams, differences generally depend on the company. But people generally refer to Crow Cams when referring to stage cams, particularly for V6.

Check out the Crow Cams web page for more detailed information on their stage 2 cam. Personally, I found it a waste and wish i'd gone a custom ground Wade cam instead.

its a VT, so its an ecotech, i dunno how common it is to have cam problems just seemed odd to me

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
Stage two cam just means its a slightly more aggressive cam than the stock one. The camshaft dictates when, how much and how long the engines valves stay open. A stage two cam will just increase the power of the engine a bit. Don't mean to say you don't know what a cam is I just want to make sure.

You can check out the the specific specs of the cams on the cam manufacturers website most likely, A stage two cam from crow would be a mid level cam at a guess.

And no idea about the cam breaking, seems weird to me.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Maybe a lobe wore off? A Crow cam I pulled out of our spare 253 the other day had 1 lobe pretty much rounded off, and another not to far from it lol.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stage two cam just means its a slightly more aggressive cam than the stock one. The camshaft dictates when, how much and how long the engines valves stay open. A stage two cam will just increase the power of the engine a bit. Don't mean to say you don't know what a cam is I just want to make sure.

You can check out the the specific specs of the cams on the cam manufacturers website most likely, A stage two cam from crow would be a mid level cam at a guess.

And no idea about the cam breaking, seems weird to me.

yeah i get the general idea of how a cam works, ive that if you get higher "stage" cams you need to port and polish, i assume thats to get clearnce? so would i be correct in thinking that a "stage 2" cam would have larger lobes that a stock on allowing more fuel/air mix in and in turn letting the exhaust out faster/more efficiently

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe a lobe wore off? A Crow cam I pulled out of our spare 253 the other day had 1 lobe pretty much rounded off, and another not to far from it lol.

well being relativly new 8ish years old you would think it wouldnt be a problem, being forged steel it shouldnt wear very easily at all

maldotcom2

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cammed mafless VS Calais 5-speed.
It's not a neccessity to port and polish, it's just that people who go for large cams often will do head work to get more gains. Higher compression is often needed for larger cams, which can be achieved by shaving the heads or using flat top or dome top pistons to reduce cylinder volume. A stage 2 cam will have slightly larger lobes (unless it's a regrind), that provide longer duration and higher lift of the valves. It is the duration of the valves that you need to watch for clearance, since combined with the high lift of the cam/associated rocker gear it might get hit by the piston.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If you must get a Crow cam get the stage 3 it's better, even that is still a little cam