Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 2 or 3 cam? Also rebuild plan/idea

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Hey guys. If the car doesnt sell next week ill just chuck the money into the drive line. The transmission is already a work of art, just have the motor, tail shaft and diff to do. First question i have is about the stage of cam. I can only find vids of the stage 2. I dont want a mega lumpy sounding cam. However, theres no point in suggesting something if you dont know what else im doing. So here it is: Ill be doing a full rebuilt. ACL flat tops, ACL race series gasket kit. All new sensors. As for the heads as far as i thought were a rebuilt, port and shave. Clearly ill have to get maces valve gear to go with the new cam. I was also going to try hunt down some stock sized roller rockers. The intake will be a work of art as well. Custom made plenum and intake system. So itll have atleast a 70mm TB bolted to it. The exhaust will be completely re done too, my ol pacemakers and 2.5" set up was good, but very loud and didnt have a bark to it like i wanted. So ill be looking for a different set up with twin cats. Few other bits and pieces with be changed to some updated bits, but thats the general idea. So far the bill is looking to be about 1.6K just from mace currently, all the other bits i have to order else where.

So thats that plan. What would you recommend in a way of cam? Also can you provide some videos of a "stage 3"?

MACE

Reaction score
Spewing, had something comprehensive written up, but it’s gone :(

Long story short unless you’re planning on revving out the engine to 7k, I would stick with the S2 item. Otherwise the build sounds like fun :D

If you have any more questions please don’t hesitate to ask

Kindest Regards,
Steve

MACE

Reaction score
"To rev the engine out that far, what else would need to be done?"
Reliably, at the very least you would want the entire rotating assembly balanced using a factory ground crank (not a regrind). Ideally you would want to remove as much weight from the entire rotating assembly, rods, pistons, crank, cryo'd and superfinished crank

"I have no dramas with that, its just too lumpy is an issue. Is the S3 as lumpy as a 40/80 in a 202? If so ill stick with the S2."
The S3 is noticeably lumpier then the S2 item. In regards to sound of a 40/80 cam in a 202, unfortunately I'm not familiar with what they sound like :(

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
No dramas, S2 sounds like a safer option. Its a stupid idea adding power to an engine because you decided to rebuild it due to it being so unreliable lol. Is there anything else you recommend i do/buy?
From you im looking at buying: the 12mm insulator, maybe the 69mm TB, another thermostat, double row timing chain, S2 comp cam, the rocker covers if im feeling rich, power bond HB, ARP head studs, valve locks, valve springs, valve spring retainers, stem seals, lifters and oil pump kit. Ill be ordering the pitons, rings, gasket kit and bearings from another company, and sensors and other bits from where ever i can.

The block will be getting a bath, then ill also get a quote for a balance and bottom end build. If too much itll be done in the garage. Then the heads will be taken back there for a bath, port, shave and valves regrind. Im not sure whats required to take the balance shaft out, altho i havnt bothered researching as yet.

This is my first V6 build, iv only ever built 202s so i have very basic knowledge, is there anything i missed for these?

MACE

Reaction score
“No dramas, S2 sounds like a safer option. Its a stupid idea adding power to an engine because you decided to rebuild it due to it being so unreliable lol. Is there anything else you recommend i do/buy?”
Agreed

“From you im looking at buying: the 12mm insulator, maybe the 69mm TB, another thermostat, double row timing chain, S2 comp cam, the rocker covers if im feeling rich, power bond HB, ARP head studs, valve locks, valve springs, valve spring retainers, stem seals, lifters and oil pump kit. Ill be ordering the pitons, rings, gasket kit and bearings from another company, and sensors and other bits from where ever i can.”
Even if you’re not feeling rich, I would certainly include springs and retainers

“The block will be getting a bath, then ill also get a quote for a balance and bottom end build. If too much itll be done in the garage. Then the heads will be taken back there for a bath, port, shave and valves regrind. Im not sure whats required to take the balance shaft out, altho i havnt bothered researching as yet.”
Can email you some oil mods which can be done while the block is apart, along with how to block off the oil gallery going to the balance shaft

“This is my first V6 build, iv only ever built 202s so i have very basic knowledge, is there anything i missed for these?”
Please PLEASE, make you get a Gregory's workshop manual and study it, along with the appropriate tools for the job (such as metrology gear), and you should be right :)

Hope this helps

Cheers,
Steve