Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Stage 2 shift kit in 200k box

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
Was wondering if it was true about installing a stage 2 shift kit into a box that has done over 200k km

I went into local transmission shop and asked for a quote and he asked how many km the car had done, as I said 200k he said it most likely would break the box. Is this legit? Will it actually kill the transmission If I have one installed now?

2DIE

ONEDOLLAHOLLA
Reaction score
Website
www.torn.com
Members Ride
97 Acclaim
Im not sure but my bro got his done (VN V8 T700) at about 250,000km and its about 320,000km now and he drives it pretty hard.

Being a different box I couldn't say though.

How about a reco and shift kit at the same time?

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
i have had two transmissions in VSes die having a shift kit fitted with over 200k on them.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
My VS has done 330k kms, 10k with a transco stage 2 shift kit.. hasn't blown up yet.. touch wood.

I was told a shift kit is good for the trans, as is strengthens it. That and more line pressure by changed in the tune.

Last edited:

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
2Die. The guy at the trans joint said he wouldn't recommend it, and that I should go a reco box an ld put in the shift kit also. But that was $1700 quoted.

I was thinking about doing a service on the box and install the kit at the same time.

I have heard that shift kits are good also, and make the box stronger also. I don't think it would kill the box. But if worst cones to worst I will just fix the box when it dies lol

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
I was told the same thing when I enquired for my VT 5L.
first question they asked was how many kms it's done. He said he'd advise reconditioning it otherwise u may have to pay twice for things to get done if it were to let go after having a shift kit fitted.

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
Dilemma dilemma dilemma hahaha

Mirkz

Reaction score
Members Ride
GSXR1000
if u plan to keep the vehicle a good while, I'd vote against getting it recond too.
will make it much more reliable.
I'm very tempted to use Sureshift automatics over east to get mine done when I do it.
Good price I got quoted and for alright power too.

s65481

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS UTE
called up another transmission place today and asked about the stage 2 shift kit

the guy said that its not so much how many klicks the transmission has done but the condition the components are

and a transmission service was quoted at $175
so i may get that done an a stage 2 installed along with the service and see how we go