Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stage 2 shift kit

W8INL9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Series 2
What are the pros and cons of getting a stage 2 shift kit ??

Does anything need to be re- enforced to handle the shift kit ??

Also bang for my buck what is better( and will give me more performance )...... 1.98:1 roller rockers or a big cam ??

Thanks guys

skootaroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS wagon
The shift kit is a slam dunk! I installed my own transgo shift kit and it is the best thing I did for my VS. No need to reinforce anything but make sure your rear bushes are in good nick. I now notice when I plant it the rear axle moves, then the car. I think urethane rear end bushes are a little flexy for my tastes.

I have never heard of a great cam for VS V6 so I don't think that the cam timing needs to change, therefor only changing the ratio will give the greatest improvement with very little work.

Cheers

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
+1 for the transgo shift kit. i had one and couldn't fault it.

i dunno about whats best out of cam or hi-lift rockers, but if you're unsure as to what future mods u will be doing (atmo,force fed etc) i would go with the rockers. that way if u decide to turbo/supercharge it down the track then the hi-lift rockers will still suit it. unlike a big duration/tight lobe centre cam which could well be no good to ya if u decide to feed it some boost.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
if youre considering buying a transgo stage 2 shift kit im selling one. its brand new still in the box, also comes with a corvette 1-2 servo and an accumulator piston repair kit. its all brand new still in the box, am selling because i need the money and im too lazy to fit it. it cost me $290 including postage, im after $235 for it + postage. even have the receipt/warranty in the box. pm me if interested...

vscalaishsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
hsv enhanced vs calais
PROS: faster, more positive shifts, longer clutch and band life, elimination of excessive shift over lap, cooler running temperatures, better fuel economy, and lower your elapsed times at the drags

CONS: there isnt none. just enjoy it :smoking:

i got a B&M stage 2 shift kit and a trans cooler fitted to my vs calais 2 days a go and it was the best thing i have ever done to it. it so much betta to drive! it a must mod to do to any auto gearbox!

just one tip if you get a shift kit fit a trans cooler as well, get a new trans filter too and ask the guy that's going to fit it to install a drain plug to the bottom of the pan so if will be way... easier to drain old trans fluid later on when you do a service on the car

the roller rockers will give you more power but it wont be notable while driving but you will notice it on the dyno and don't run a to big of a cam as you will lose power bigger isn't always betta! talk to a good engine builder and tell him what you got done to your motor and he will give you a good cam to fit. best bet is to get a cam and cylinder head package with a memcal to match than get it dynoed to get the best out of it!

hope that helps

Last edited:

Stressball

Rolling on 4 again :D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Triton
I had a stage 2 kit in my vs v6. Was certainly a big improvement for fun driving, but within 2 months, it developed a massive diff clunk. Replaced the rear control arms and it improved it quite a bit, but it was only a matter of time until the diff needed an overhaul. I sold the car before that point though.

havavb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S Ute
How much is it to get a stage 2 shift kit installed? Does it effect the auto trans in anyway? Like does it start slipping or does it require early servicing etc? Thanks in advance.

W8INL9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Berlina Series 2
so stage 2 shift kit it is when i get the money haha
yea i was looking at some roller rockers i think thats what i might get... gotta install some new front and rear bushes and ill be cruising...

thanks for all the advice guys

holden_4aw_lyfe

Tsu Tsu Tsu Tsu
Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin Turbo Stroked 4.2LT VT Berlina
I'm getting a Transgo Stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo put in my car atm...costing me 700 bux to fit it all....and im told that there is going to be BIG improvements.....i also bought high ratio roller rockers last wekeend...standard ratio for a ecotec engine is 1.68.1, i got high ratio 1.98.1, fitted them in 2 hours, and all i can say is oh my god the improvment....you can certainly feel the extra 15-20kw of power...high end it feels so good...im getting a cam fitted aswell, crow cams have just brought out new cams to suit high and ultra high ratio rockers without having to get your heads done, so that will be the way to go for now....now i just can't wait for my car to come back o i can chirp in 1st :p

WAFFEN SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VS Commodore and 5L VT Clubby
Dumb thing to do unless your wanting to put money into fixing and fixing, If your doing it for drags and racing then its not so bad but as a daily driver its a waste.