Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

stage 3 cam idle speed

mintox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK group A and VL Calais
Hey Guys,

Just a quick question. Whats a good idle speed in drive for a worked 308 with a stage 3 cam... At the moment I'm doing it by ear, but the lumpyness of the cam is making it difficult to tell if its struglling at idle or if its just lumping away (i've only had my VK for a lil more than a month, so I'm not used to cam idle). At the moment its on about 650rpm and seems to be going alright, but not sure if thats the optimum setting.

Just thought I'd get you opinions. thanks.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
It depends on the cam grind on a high performance cam you can loose compression at low engine speeds as the inlet & exhaust valves can be open at the same time.
I dont know about this stage 3 stuff, but if its idling ok and not stalling all is well, my last engine needed an idle speed of 800-900rpm to keep idling.

cheers
Scott

mintox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK group A and VL Calais
thanks mate. Yeah I'm just gonna drive it around and make minor adjustments and see how it goes.

jd hot stuff

355 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL 355 stroker, VZ V6
Well if it isnt stalling its should be a good sign, and it would be just best to drive it around the block and figure out what it runs best at. Just an idea.