Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stall converters and driveability

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
Hey guys,

My VC needs a new trans since my old one slips like a Vaseline store entering Paris Hilton and im tracking one down (just another TH350) and im worried about the converter too.

Now im on a budget cause the trans will take up most of my dough and i would like to replace the stally. This motor im using (black 308) was pulling over 300hp at the wheels in its day, cammed, bored and flat top cylinders. I saw on ebay a brand new stock TH350 torque converter and i wanna know if it will handle the power. I just want the car to take off as hard as possible, no slipping, no BS just power to the wheels. Since this is my daily driver i wanna keep it real (good take off from the lights and acceleration) and not have a 3500 stall and have to rev the engine to death to make it move!

So basically, can a brand new stock torque converter take the heat of a powerful engine? Or does it just spin and power isnt too much of an issue. I dont know alot about converters (couldnt tell?) and i just need some steerin in the right direction :thumbsup:

Thanks guys

Wade

Blair_355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
A bigger converter wont really make much difference to your daily driving.

I daily drive with a 3000 stall.

Paiste402

My workin on the car face
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 EB Fairmont Ghia
i wanna be able to blaze up to speed damn fast with little slip, like my bro gets in his VN commodore. Its had a 2500 on it and i didnt much care for it. But will a stock (ie 2000 stall) work fine with my motor?