Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stall Converters!?!?!-

A-TEAM AUTOMOTIVE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Calais 3.3 efi
how muchwold a high stall converter cost? without labour?

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I think they are a few hundred. At a rough guess $400-$600. Putting one on a 202 wouldn't be worth it unless it was a drag car. They are generally put on cars that have had performance enhancements done to peoples V8's. Labour is easy. AFAIK, taking out your gearbox and replacing the torque converter is all it is.
I met a guy once that wouldn't pull out a gearbox for less than $300, so I did it myself. :)

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
dominator stall convertors are 600 exchange and more if you want a cusom 1 to suit your needs

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mine was $600 for a 2800 stall with lockup clutch from all torque converters in adelaide so id imagine it would be cheaper for a trimatic with no lock up clutch cos thats the expensive bit

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Cheers for the prices. I figured they wern't cheap. :)

GreenGremlin

Reaction score
Website
www.brockcommodores.com
Members Ride
VK Calais
around $600-$700, you need t make sure the stally is chockers with transfluid before you put it onto teh trans, it will slide nicely onto the imput shaft and you will have to feel for the engagement of teh stator inside the stally.

for 202s make sure that the crank has the locating spigot in the back of the crank the little knob in the centre of the converter locates onto this, without it you'll **** up teh trns in a big way as the trans as the converter wont be held truly centre onto the back of the crank.

the stally is for engines with high performance cams that shift the HP and more importantly the torque higher up the rev range, they have a bit of "slip" down low to allow the engine not to be loaded up as much in gear so it wont stall at idle, thats a crude explanation of part of their function but theres more to it, pick up a brochure from TCE or someone reputable and they generally answer all your questions.

i have an informative brochure I scanned, if anyone know how to post up images...

Last edited:

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
For the 6 pot trumatic i think if ya get the converter out of the 4 pot auto it will be good to stall upto 2 grand just not sure if its the commodore 4 pot or the torrie converter that done that little trick.