Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Stall when auto placed in Drive or Reverse even with heaps of revs

Bazil2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX wagon
Hi,

was just looking at an auto VN today and couldn't get it to reverse up the driveway because it always stalled.

Would start and rev perfectly.

Was kinda weird because whenever I put it in reverse or drive with some revs it was like there was a high load on the engine and if I upped the revs it would sometimes move but then backfire and die or otherwise just die - and no, hand brake wasn't left on and car rolled freely...

I have searched google heaps for this issue but no luck - was one vague comment somewhere re torque converter solenoid..?

Other possible points - on gas and tank indicator low - but it revs out fine in neutral so perhaps not that. No petrol so couldn't start on that - may go back 2morrow with 5L but I think prob is not fuel related.

Owner claimed it was fine up till today - hadn't been moved for a month.

Could be a cheap buy if I can move it...

[Edit] - oh and steering was straight and didn't think to try lock to lock...

Thanks for any help,

Bryan

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I would think its probably your Idle Air Valve or Throttle Position Sensor.

First thing I would do is take the throttle off and clean it and all it's related components.

Sounds more like something there than a trans problem (I have seen plenty of these issues on holdens and everyone jumps straight to trans problems when it very rarely is)