Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stalling Issue?

BennyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux running a 3800 V6
Hey all,

I have a Hilux which is running the 3800 out of a VN series 2. It stalled on me at a set of lights and hasn't started again since.

I have replaced one coil which was faulty, then did a DFI for Justin Case. There is spark at all coils on cranking. I haven't tested the leads but they are 10k old.
Have replaced the CAS - the crank pulley was new 10k ago.
Fuel pump replaced - running 3 bar so put a new adjustable fuel pressure regulator on just because....currently set on 4 bar.
Have tried 2 other ECU's to no avail.
Have tried another MAP sensor. Have tried with MAP/O2 sensors disconnected.
I have tried another set of injectors. Have cranked with injector rail not in manifold and all injectors are squirting fuel.
It cranks and almost runs, but as soon as I release the key off 'Start' it dies. Fuel pressure does not drop - running fuel pump off individual circuit not ECU.
I have bypassed the oil pressure cut off circuit/relay as well as the injector relay and ECU relay to provide direct 12v ignition power.
I have connected second jumper battery to boost cranking speed incase it wasn't fast enough
I have even compression across all cylinders - engine has full rebuild approx. 10k ago.

Have tried 'Start-Ya-Bastard' and it is same as on fuel system, so I am leaning towards a spark issue. I am thinking that as soon as it hits about 400rpm when the ECU takes over the control of the DFI and cuts spark? Hard to check for spark as it is almost running at that point, and I can't get it to crank that fast.

Would the IMMO circuit in the ECU be causing me issues? I am not running the starter circuit through the ECU as it runs straight from ignition switch to the Hilux wiring loom.

Any ideas??? Doin' my head in as it has been running perfectly.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Could the start circuit be back feeding into the ignition circuit and ECU? Bad relay of fuse for the ECU or Ignition relay?

BennyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux running a 3800 V6
Could the start circuit be back feeding into the ignition circuit and ECU? Bad relay of fuse for the ECU or Ignition relay?
All fuses are good for the ECU and I have jumped across the relays to provide direct power.
The start circuit is completely separate loom to the engine loom

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Can you check the ECU for fault codes?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I'd suspect elecrtical currents are going where they should't go, so I'd start by checking every earth is clean and tight.

BennyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux running a 3800 V6
ECU is throwing codes for the sensors I have unplugged. Will check all the earths tonight.....

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It won't run without a MAP sensor.

BennyH

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hilux running a 3800 V6
I'd suspect elecrtical currents are going where they should't go, so I'd start by checking every earth is clean and tight.
So I hooked up a jumper cable from the negative terminal to the inlet manifold and it started first hit.....
Then I made a new earth lead, ran it to the alternator mounting bolt, cleaned the main earth point on the bottom of the engine and it is back to the same issue.
But wait....there's more....I put the jumper cable back onto the same points as when it ran, and still no joy!!!

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
This may sound stupid but have you checked the actual battery itself is good. Friend of mine called me 2 weeks ago with the same issue on a VR. Would start but not run just die instantly. Replaced with a known good working battery and voila. Sometimes it's the simplest things that can be overlooked...

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Could be low voltage to the coil. I don't know how your ignition system works but I've had identical symptoms on old British cars which use ballasted coil feeds- the coil is fed from a 12V supply when the engine is cranking switching to 6V when the engine starts. A problem with the ballasted feed causes the engine to die when the starter is disengaged.
Check your battery is feeding the correct voltage to the coils when the starter disengages.