Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stance project VE SSV (help & input required please)

JNew

Reaction score
Hi there,

First of all I'd just like to say what an awesome forum you all have going here. The search function here has been the mainstay of a lot of my research for my current project, but the time has come where I have become so over whelmed with all the info I need to ask for your input. Before I get into a few questions for you all to have your input (as I am having a really tough time with wheel selection) a bit of background on the car. 2008 VE SSV 60th anniversary in silver. Bought this just over a year ago and have enjoyed it as is with kingspring SSLs and the factory optioned 20" supersports. Since joining the JC forum I have decided to get involved and get some agressive stance happening.

After reading all the threads around wheel fitment and offset it seems I have become more confused than ever, so my main motivated on asking for all of your learnings and advice when undertaking such a project is that I would like to do this once and do it right.

So, to begin with, I have install OZ racing adjustable coilovers (BC racing/Pedders by any other name). Now has come time to select wheels to get that right look.

The wheels I will be buying are BBS LM as I love the look.

Option 1
BBS LM 235/40/19"x9.5" +20 all round (I think that a 19" may be a bit of a compromise?)

Option 2
BBS LM (staggered fit) 235/35/20"x9.5 front and 255/35/20"x10" or 10.5" rear (what offset would be best?)

Option 3
BBS LM 255/35/20"x10" all round? (offset? +20?)

I haven't put any offset against option 2 and 3 as I am unsure what maximum offset can get away with on such big wheels.

Would you go for a staggered set up? Or would you keep the same size all round for the ability to do tyre rotation etc? Camber doesn't worry me and I'm more than willing to run -2deg to get the right look.

What issues has everyone had or tricks that may be useful?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

Jonathan.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Ok, first things first.

1) is it daily driven

2) are you opposed to guard pump

I just spent the better part of two months doing research on the above question.

Here are pictures of my fitment and specs:

20" 8.5 +30 with a 245 Tyre

10666074_10153125037863029_7797019284488532137_n.jpg

20" 10" wide with a 255/35 and +35

10689567_10153125037993029_6954800309385483619_n.jpg

If the car is daily driven, 10" on the front may track badly depending on how good the roads are where you live. However, 9.5 and 10" theres a bees dick in it so you may as well just go 10" all round. Just be aware of the handling effects.

If you were going a 10" wide all round with a +20. Youd stick out 15mm more than my rear and I think 25mm more on my front. On the fronts 10" and +35 tends to be a common trend and that is pretty much bang on flush (which would equal 8.5 and +20 pushing it 10mm out than I currently have).

I would feel comfortable 10" with a 255 and +30. That would probably be pressing the limits for flushness. From there you can play with your camber a bit to get it sitting absolutely perfect.

It also really depends how low you want to go. If you were to go 10" with +20 youd stick out 15mm more than me, but if you have stiffer springs to make sure you didnt bob around and scrape you could have the tyre just sitting outside the guard and would look tough.

Last edited:

JNew

Reaction score
Hi there,

In answer to your quesions, the car isn't driven daily, mostly weekend. But may sometimes need to use it during the week. And I have a mobile guy coming to roll the guards as much as he dares early next week. In terms of ride height my plan is to have at least some or most of the top of the tyre in the arch.

I'm thinking a 20"x9.5" with a 35 profile and +20 offset might tick all the boxes.

Thanks every much for your very informative reply, much appreciated. I too have been researching for nearly 2 months, and I think the more I read the more confused I get. Well done on your wagon, it looks massive.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
9.5 with a +20 will poke out 8mm more than what I have now. Which I am confident in saying with 255's and a good guard roll you will be fine. It may take some camber adustment though but will be good. For reference, a few people are running 10" with +30 and they are cutting it close. You will be 2mm more than that. So will look good.

Knowing what I do now.

My next wheels will probably look something like 8.5" +20 Front (Equal to 10" +35) and 10" +30 Rear.

But those above shots are standard camber. Once I put the coilovers in I can play with it a bit more.

Also, I played it very safe with tyre options. A lot of people say 275s will rub on a +35 10" I think depending on tyre brand and spring stiffness it will be fine and will be going 275s next tyre change.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Hi there,

I have decided to get involved and get some agressive stance happening.

Option 1
BBS LM 235/40/19"x9.5" +20 all round (I think that a 19" may be a bit of a compromise?)

Option 3
BBS LM 255/35/20"x10" all round? (offset? +20?)

Jonathan.

I would choose either 19x9.5s 235/40R19 with 20P OR the 20x10s 245/35R20 with 20P offset.

You said agressive so that's where it's at and it's still not a lot of work and they'll still (just) be in the gaurds.

Work wise it's -2 camber front and and guard roll on the rear only and maximum factory camber adjustment (I asume you'll be quite low)

For examples of these fitments see Potta's R8 with 9.5s 22P or the a silver G8 (now aqua dipped) with 10s in 20P.

Also the tyres sizes I have mentioned are on the very tame side of stretch so don't stress about that

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Theres "stance" and then there is undrivable shitheap.

my findings, don't go any more than 2 degrees neg camber.

9.5 with a 245 is fine, 235 if you drive it hard can debead, 225 forget about it.

front, 8.5 +20, 9.5 +22 with a set of 245's all round, roll guards, grind bumper tab and enjoy not ####ing stuff constantly.

And unless you go low, it will look retarded, so say goodbye to driving it anywhere with speedhumps, driveways, literally any obstacle.

Mines not even that low and I've worn through my cats twice now. To be honest I regret doing what I have done, but if I raise it, it will look shithouse lol.

WDG8WZq.jpg

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
8a827354-abed-99d3.jpg

For reference, thats 9.5 +22 as ducker said. (i think I cant see all his pics :S)
Thats about 6.5mm more poke than my above picture. Still I think 10" with +20 will work fine.

A lot can be done with creative roll guarding/camber.

Im honestly, kinda sad I didnt push to the absolute limit so I can only tell you to look at pictures as much as possible to get a good idea.

brasher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
the word "stance" shits me too, call it aggressive offset.

This is stance :)

left_side_srsjpg_Thumbnail1.jpg

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
the word "stance" shits me too, call it aggressive offset

both examples have the "stance" that there respective owners are trying to achieve. Stance is the overall package of ride height and wheels depending on what scene your in.

Also there no need to roll the front guards if you choose -2 camber. I've been there and done that