Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stance project VE SSV (help & input required please)

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Think he started a wheel thread cos I remember helping him. Search his profile or inbox him.

Also once you go staggered no more tyre rotations (front to back etc) keep that in mind

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
What coil overs are you going to get?

Ive got XYZ's sitting in my shed waiting to go in. But tyre place made a meal out of the guard roll so its getting repaired before I put the coilovers in.

What we need to do a make up a matrix, utilizing the online wheel and tyre fitment tool for offset and clearance values etc and tyre sizes. Can put up here for if you want to sticky this thread that will help others just starting out down this project path. I'll have a play with what it might look like over the weekend and post for feedback? The other thing, is that when I started out I found it quite hard to vizulize what I wanted, but once I made this thread and had you guys as a support base I have started to understand it a lot better and gain clarity. For example, I knew what I wanted in my head, but struggled to find examples of actualization of what I was thinking and if it was possible. Would also probably help reduce the number of dumbarse threads like mine asking for help haha.

I found pictures much easier to understand than something like WillTheyFit because once you have a base offset and wheel size visualised its easier to work from there.

IMG_2740.jpg

Does anyone know what offset/tyre size he is running? I am thinking a staggered set up is the way to go. 8.5" front and 10" rear just like Grennan and this guy Turbodragon.

This is from a PM from Turbo:

fronts are 20x8.5 (225/30/20) and rears are 20x10 (245/30/20) and both front and rear have the maximum amount camber available dialled in.

For the front, I had a custom 16mm spacer made up to get the front sitting like it is, which even though doesn't look like it's sitting as tight as the rear, the front bumper/guard section is actually resting on the tyre when airred out. The biggest hurdle/bottleneck for the front is the front bumper/front guard join, as I had to grind and relocate the front brackets to get it to fit.

The rears needed the bumper brackets ground and relaocted but other than the camber and strecthed tyre

Bear in mind, the guards have had a small massage to get that extra offset under there

So hes done a fair bit of work to get that to sit where it sits and also has airbags. He did say he wasnt quite sure of the offsets in the end. But I would say he is probably sitting around +20 judging by where the lip of the wheel sits.

JNew

Reaction score
Think he started a wheel thread cos I remember helping him. Search his profile or inbox him.

Also once you go staggered no more tyre rotations (front to back etc) keep that in mind

Yeah I understand what you're saying here with this. Mind you, to get it perfect also need to compromise a bit in terms of practicality.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Meh depends how you want to go. Mines, for the most part driven everyday and the drive to work is short, but the roads arent very smooth and even. So I sacrificed being able to rotate for having a fairly decent ride quality.

What you give up in ride quality you gain in tyre life.

At the same time, youre going to be using camber to get the best fitment, not the best tyre wear.

JNew

Reaction score
Ive got XYZ's sitting in my shed waiting to go in. But tyre place made a meal out of the guard roll so its getting repaired before I put the coilovers in.

I've got a mobile guy coming to my house where the car is already on stands and ready to be rolled. He has lots of experience in VE's, plus he is happy to work out of hours (evening) so I can supervise.

I found pictures much easier to understand than something like WillTheyFit because once you have a base offset and wheel size visualised its easier to work from there.

I agree with you on this. But the photo's are only helpful if the specifics are attached to the photo such as what they have done to achieve the result.

This is from a PM from Turbo:

So hes done a fair bit of work to get that to sit where it sits and also has airbags. He did say he wasnt quite sure of the offsets in the end. But I would say he is probably sitting around +20 judging by where the lip of the wheel sits.

I sent him a PM but he hasn't replied, was ages ago. Airbags are illegal in QLD I think, however I am happy to stand corrected. Also, for the cost (just shy of $5k), I just don't think it's worth it. Would rather sacrifice a bit of height to a coilover. Besides, I don't think the OZ racing coilovers will actually go that low at the front, I'm already maxed out at the bottom of height adjustment.

JNew

Reaction score

I agree with you here, photo's are only helpful though if the specifics have been attached of what was done and what kit used to get the result. WilltheyFit is only good to fine tune once you know and have a clear direction of what you want to achieve. I will be going down the same track at Turbodragon but without airbags. Only hope I pull the look off half as good with coilovers.

JNew

Reaction score
Well if youre willing to modify the guard mounting and possibly push the guards a little like Turbo. You may as well go the 10" +20s (or even lower)

I'm just unsure about 10's all round. I think I like that staggered offset that you have going on. 10's all round would mean they would all have the same dish and I suspect that would look a little awkward? What do you think? However in saying that, I can get a staggered set that is 42P offset which I'll just space until I get the look I'm after. Could get 2 half sets of 10's put together? Would rather start at a high offset and use spacers to work down until desired result is reached. Would you agree?

JNew

Reaction score
225/8.5" and 245/10". What profile do you suggest? 30 or 35? I'm not worried about legality as the car seriously will not be used much at all. Think from a pruely look perspective.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

Youd only go a 30 on the rear if you were running 275s.

Also, id avoid going a +42 and then using spacers to get the look youre after. Were talking about +20/30 here. Thats at minimum 12mm spacers. IMO thats really starting to push not only legality but safety.