Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

standard cost for aircon regassing?

bloodylegend

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S V6 Auto
yours is new gas - R134a. R12, which is the old gas was not allowed to be used after 1992

we charge 190 + receiver drier, which are only around 40.

if it hasnt been done before, pretty good chance the receiver drier connections will be seized, which means new condenser and liquid line, depending on how bad it is.

oh, and top up's are illegal

hey what do you have to do if this happens? i think this is the problem with my car

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Am just wondering a few things as this happens with my car and the a/c isnt as cold as it should be.

1. Do i not need to get a regas?
2. What needs to be fixed?
3. How easy is it to fix?

Thanks muchly

Check the brass heater pipes down near your left ankle - they should be cold when the temp dial is turned to cold.....if warm or hot it means your heater tap is not turning off and you are mixing hot air with cold air and getting warm. There is a further check if they are warm/hot.

180sc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais & vh sl
Check the brass heater pipes down near your left ankle - they should be cold when the temp dial is turned to cold.....if warm or hot it means your heater tap is not turning off and you are mixing hot air with cold air and getting warm. There is a further check if they are warm/hot.

Make sure when you do this that you have it set to cold before the car is warmed up otherwise it will get warm and stay warm for a while.

picks

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss, vr calais, vt berlina wagon(family bus)
i paid $110 for a re-gas

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
hey what do you have to do if this happens? i think this is the problem with my car

new air con condensor, which is infront of the radiator, and the liquid line, which runs from the receiver drier to the tx valve, which is underneath the windscreen wipers.

Weapon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual VS
now its summer most places that do it seem to have a little sign out the front of their work
ive seen a few round my area for $79

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Ive got a Hanes workshop manual and it says you can buy the gas in a can and regas it yourself.Its even got a little picture of the can.Its got the connectors and all that to hook it up to the system.It says its gotta be134A,not R-12.It also says to connect it to the low side port only.Anyone heard of these.It would have to be cheaper than getting someone else to do it for you.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Ive got a Hanes workshop manual and it says you can buy the gas in a can and regas it yourself.Its even got a little picture of the can.Its got the connectors and all that to hook it up to the system.It says its gotta be134A,not R-12.It also says to connect it to the low side port only.Anyone heard of these.It would have to be cheaper than getting someone else to do it for you.

yeah not anymore. all they can do is top the system up, which is illegal, and you have no way of checking pressures, amount that has been put in etc. and you need a licence to handle refridgrant

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

Haynes talks about the USA where it is still legal.
Back in the 70's you could buy cans of R12 refrigerant from Kmart anywhere in Australia with a hose to top up your aircon but the nanny-state put an end to that. I can remember in the 60's buying .22 bullets and 12 gauge shotgun cartridges from stores like Myers, Anthony Hordens and Grace bros. No one acted stupid then. Reminiscing over.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,By looking at the pictures shown in the manual it is a left hand drive car that they are regassing with the can.The manual is for a VR/VS commodore,you would think they would not include this in the manuals for Australia.It just keeps getting harder and harder for the backyard mech.