Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

standard head gasket vs copper

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
I have a RB30ET which i just rebuuilt the motor on replacing the original gasket with a copper head gasket and it is mixing oil with coolant in the motor so i am saying it's leaking through the head gasket.
I followed the torque specs in the gregories book, is this only suspose to be for the standard gaskets, is there a different torque spec/ sequence for a copper head gasket?
Does anyone know the exact procedure and specs for each gasket?
What is the boost limits for each gasket?
I will be running 1 bar or 14.7 psi of boost.

Thanks.
Colin.

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
I have a RB30ET which i just rebuuilt the motor on replacing the original gasket with a copper head gasket and it is mixing oil with coolant in the motor so i am saying it's leaking through the head gasket.
I followed the torque specs in the gregories book, is this only suspose to be for the standard gaskets, is there a different torque spec/ sequence for a copper head gasket?
Does anyone know the exact procedure and specs for each gasket?
What is the boost limits for each gasket?
I will be running 1 bar or 14.7 psi of boost.

Thanks.
Colin.

running copper gaskets with high boost is a must as they are bullit proof and there preaty well a pain in the arse when it comes to leaking as mine were also, i had bit of problem with but sorted it by useing 3bond to seal them with and anealing them again .lightly wave a soft oxy flame over them untill they change colour and cool them down it doesnt matter if quenched in water as it doesnt make them hard.lightly scrub them with scouring pad and clean of with metho and apply 3bond to both surfaces of gasket and assemble tenshion down to all but few pound less of correct settings and leave overnight re tention to right settings and you wont have any more probs.and they will handle as much boost as you want at them .

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
did you replace the gaskets or just use the one that was leaking?
is holymer better then 3 bond, and retansion? do you mean loosen the retighten or just go over tyhe bolts and hot or cold motor?
thanks.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You dont need to replace it, just do what hinterland said. I used to reuse them on my motorbikes for ages, I'd allways be inside cooking gaksets on mums oven :)