Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Standard SS looking for a little more sound

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
Would an SS exhaust on VF S1 get louder the older it gets? Would driving it hard make any difference to long term sound?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
The standard exhaust won't give you "loud" or "long term sound" because it's trash. Throw it out and put something else on it if you want sound.

boingk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute, VR Wagon
Go for a mild catback mate. I own a VT wagon with the LS1 and really like the note from the Redback 2.5" catback system. It was only $350 and fit up easily, and gives a decent note - nice burbly idle, cruises around well and has a good note when you step on it but not too loud.

The only problem you may face is that the standard headers leave a lot to be desired and contribute a lot to droning with aftermarket exhausts. This is caused by the unequal length exhaust runners causing harmonic issues - my VT had a nasty drone at 60kmh under moderate load with the standard headers and aftermarket cat. This was almost eliminated by fitting Pacemaker headers.

Hope that helps - boingk

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Would an SS exhaust on VF S1 get louder the older it gets? Would driving it hard make any difference to long term sound?

If it's an auto it will drone like crazy when AFM kicks in, once you put an aftermarket exhaust. Hence why the put those shitty restrictive mufflers on them to keep them quiet.
Mine has marriage savers on it and I had the AFM turned off when I had a tune done. the drone was hideous.

MarcoVFRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
I agree mate when I bought it had an xforce 3 in cat back. I lasted a week before going back to standard. Would love a bit of a deep note but would keep silent over that crappy drone

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I use the manual mode to keep it 8 cylinders. Sounds mad and you've got more control while driving. I've got the rapid exhaust DG pipes - the louder version of the Marriage Savers.

Last edited:

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
I think the stock exhaust with marriage savers is a reasonable solution, but you still need to turn AFM off, or get a range disabler.

I am still considering a manta catback in quiet, but the marriage savers sound good 95% of the time, not as angry or deep as a full system, but you know you are driving a V8.

SneekyNuts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
i did the quick shifty and just got the baffles taken out cost me 200 bucks to run straight pipe at the end. sounds good but....... i work less than 5km from home and if i had to do long trips constantly i may want to get out of the car at random moments and scream MAKE IT STOP!!!! from the drone noise but mines an Ex PO PO car so i dont have that AEM drone its a little nicer. i will be doing the exhaust properly. also beware i do notice it sucks a little more fuel since i had the fun bags cut out

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

Get a set of headers and cats

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Get a set of headers and cats

Do you think headers and 100cpi cats through a full standard AFM system would give it a proper V8 note?

I would have thought it wouldn't have sounded much louder?