Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stanley socket sets any good?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
SuperCheep has a few Stanley sets on sale at the moment. I'm thinking of getting one for my brother for Christmas. He's not a big user of tools but does some stuff around the house plus has kids with bikes etc.

There's a 40 piece chrome 1/2" set in the metal box or a 78 piece set, black finish in plastic box that has 1/4" and 1/2" ratchets and sockets plus a few Allen keys.

Anyone here use these or know if any good? Are the black tools or Chrome sets better?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
They're not what they used to be - they're Chinese made now and ratchets can leave a little to be desired. I had a Stanley set and 'somebody' borrowed my 21mm socket and split it down the sides.

I don't bother with cheap stuff anymore unless it's just to keep in the back of the car. Generally stick to sp tools or sidchrome now. Even sidchrome isn't as good as it was (think it's now owned by the same company as Stanley?).

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah Stanley black and decker are owned by some big group can't remember the name.
Thing is he's never going to go buy a better set than that himself and I'm not keen to buy a $200 set for him lol.
I'm a tool snob too by the way;) if I break somethin cheap I go buy a more high class version, even Repco seems ok at the moment. Then there's the Chrissy specials on TTi at total tools I guess...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
That Stanley stuff isn't bad if you're not hard on tools though, I'd say it'd be a great gift idea if he's not using them every day. I just haven't had the best run and cheap tools have cost me a whole heap of time and money over the past few years lol.

I'd class a lot of the toolpro stuff at supercheap the same as Stanley. They're strangely similar if you look closely, and at a lower price point too a lot of the time.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh dear, I've tried a few of the tool-poo tools. Every one went back for a refund as total garbage that doesn't even fit the fastener quite often ( safety torx keys )
Hope Stanley isn't that bad.
Stanley 18v cordless tools are said to be good as Makita.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Oh dear, I've tried a few of the tool-poo tools. Every one went back for a refund as total garbage that doesn't even fit the fastener quite often ( safety torx keys )
Hope Stanley isn't that bad.
Stanley 18v cordless tools are said to be good as Makita.
Sad to say there's little consistency across product lines even within the same brand these days. The socket sets and spanners are actually quite decent. Realistically you still get dud products when you try to buy brand names now too though. I've got a set of those green security torx bits and mine are all good, must have lucked out lol

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Can't remember if mine were green or red but they were the long series. Ended up getting a set of kincrome 3/8 security torx sockets on a rail and they are sweet.
I'll checkout the Stanley stuff. Wish Koken was that cheap! ❤️

H

harrop.senator

Stanley sidchrome tool Pro all same same same Taiwanese factory same parent company. Tool pros not to bad the grips not the best but I've never broken one and a lot of my work tools are tool Pro I even use the 1/2" sockets on my snap on 18v rattle gun that can do 250 going up lol.

Sent more kincrome back then tool Pro.
Kc is good better then sp and Teng in my opinion . I'll be honest apart from punches and screwdrivers ive not broken a tool in 6 years and that one was using it to lock a crown bolt up and using a cheater pipe on a 750mm snap on ratchet trying to get a very tight pinion undone. Snapped the 5/8 spanner where it was hard up against the housing.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
built my engine with Stanley tool set no issues, about 7 yrs old now though, id buy another but I don't have to :)

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I've got a Stanley 3/8 150 piece set , a Power built 39 piece 3/8 drive set and a Bahco 24 piece 1/2 drive set , out of all of them the Power built and Bahco get the most use , I'd recommend the Power Built set , it's got all the bits he'll need ,