Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stanley socket sets any good?

H

harrop.senator

Power built is really hard to get a hold of these days. My deflecting beam torque wrench is powerbuilt definitely no complaints there.

Kromex is good and cheap too check eBay their cheaper then my works account at covs lol. Think online a 6-24mm 3/8 deep single gex rail sets like $50-60 one of the best things I've ever bought lol.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had a look at the Stanley kit at supercheap. The sockets seem ok for a knock about set though it's obviously a low cost set. The extensions and bits are solid but kind of clumsy solid if you know what I mean. The little ball in the 1/2 drive ratchet Was sticking when I squeezed it so it's definitely not rebadged snap-on lol.
Realistically that's all your likely to get for under $80...

The scary part is the similarity between the Stanley, sidchrome and toolpros. The boxes all have identical handles and latches. The Stanley and sidchrome have identical locking tabs, the list goes on. Beats me why they bother selling 3 different sets side by side if they are all the same. I don't think the who set is indentical but parts of it are.
Still contemplating it lol. Would be worth it to see the look on his face when he opens it, WTF am I gonna do with this massive set BAHAHA!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
For your original idea as you stated there would be no issue.
for what he is likely to fix it would be fine.

I bought some spanners for the sporting club at one stage. Its those single ones they sell at Bunnings for like $1-2each. Works fine for what they are needed for.
TTI aren't bad though. use then fairly often and they go well.
But like most things it depends on what you use them for and how badly you need them.
Still have a knipex pair of cutters I forked out a lot for as a first year and they have been used nearly daily since then (7 years now)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
We've got a pair of knipex cobras and theyre probably 20+ years old. Still work like new and kill pretty much anything else on the market today.

H

harrop.senator

Mate has a mortgage of snap on his hd on site service trucks insurance is 85k on tools. Runs nothing but snap on ever..... Apart from knipex pliers hahaha.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Still have a knipex pair of cutters I forked out a lot for as a first year and they have been used nearly daily since then (7 years now)

Got a pair of Knipex side cutters as a first year, in 1977. Still going strong.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Bought a pair of knipex pliers for my other brother for Chrissy one year. He's quite happy with them lol! Nothing wrong with overkill right?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My bro bought a set of Stanley gear to work on cars and he is happy enough with them. I have an assortment of brands in my roller cab. I usually look at Teng, Repco or Bacho these days as I often will poke around clearance tables and cabinets to see what's marked down a decent amount. Also Teng and Repco have lifetime change over warranty and it's been great the one or two times I went to a Teng or Repco seller and got a new torx socket or regular socket. I agree for your bro a set of Stanley's will do him fine, especially since they regularly come on sale at SCA. Stanley screw drivers used to be the best IMHO when they were made in Aust. I still have a few left that haven't been lost since I bought the set 30 years ago. I belt them with hammers and all sorts, if I'm being lazy and they are still in great nic. In a ideal world we would all own Snap On but like one poster suggested you want have good insurance cover. I bought a Sidchrome blow mould kit from Repco on clearance a couple of years back to keep in the car for doing a few minor bits and pieces and that was great think I got that for 90 bucks or thereabouts. That was a 3/8 drive socket and and spanner set combined. Yet you go to replace one 10mm combination spanner because it has opened up and they want over 10 bucks, go figure???? I bought a set of ratchet spanners from SCA a fair few years back when they were fairly new on the market. They haven't lasted that well. They really didn't take kindly to me hit one with a hammer and the rest sorted died by me hitting them with my hand. Where as my Bacho ratchet spanners have been brill. Although I am more careful with my Bacho set as they were three times the price.

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

Pretty sure repco home brands the same big tooling company that does Stanley sidchrome etc casts are very similar.

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Repco seems to be complicating their range of tools if ya ask me. Their Repco brand is quite good but a bit $$& unless on special though is often discounted. Their mid range Blue stuff is said to be ok and is a rebadged US brand, can't remember the name.
GUV is their 3rd teir stuff and Ive tried to avoid. Are you saying that is the Stanley clone?