Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starfire VH Conversion

RippleEphex

VS Wagooon
Reaction score
Website
www.rippleephex.com.au
Members Ride
95' VS Wagon
Hi, im trying to get more information on how to convert the VH starfire to a 6 Cyl, also change the stud pattern to a commodore stud pattern (5x120) not a torana stud pattern (5x108)

will a diff off a VB/VC/VK fit ?
how easy is it to change the diff and front brakes?

anything and everything you could tell me would be much appreciated
Thanks

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
your going to need a few parts
Front rotors & studs, fancy a brake upgrade at the same time?? if so just buy a VT twin spot kit
wheels of course
complete diff with brakes is the way to go, disc brake VL V8 or turbo is the ultimate way to go else any VB-VL diff, you may need to do some tailshaft work to make it happen thats not hard to do.
Cross member is sweet, pretty sure rack will be
front springs are different as well
engine wiring harness different
exhaust as well
gearbox

I think thats about it

RippleEphex

VS Wagooon
Reaction score
Website
www.rippleephex.com.au
Members Ride
95' VS Wagon
thanks for the info

well ive got the wheels ;) (2004 caprice 17" rims)

im going to change the stud pattern first before going for the bigger motor (dont need to go fast yet)
is there 2 types of diff for the VH commodores or will any diff do?

Last edited:

kym192

kym j
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH sl, VT berlina, VN berlina, VH SL\E
from what ive had there is a few different types of diffs but any commodore diff will do vb-vk only if ya get a vl diff ya going to have to play around with the tail shafts ad that dosnt work my mates tryed to put a rb30 into a vh and got stuck at the tail shaft

bruiserbrad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202 base model
where ya from mate? any chance that you wanna sell the old starfire?
cheers brad

charvel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I assume your car is a sedan? If I remember correctly, wagons and sedans have slightly different mountings for the shock absorbers. V8 diffs also have a larger flange on the input to the diff, and use a different tailshaft. Wagons and sedans use the same tailshafts as the sedans.

Have you checked to see if the crossmember for the Starfire will take a 6 cylinder? The 6's and V8's use the same crossmember. I found this all out when I converted a VH from 6 to V8. I have some parts books here, so PM me if you need to know if something for the Starfire is still suitable for the 6.

It's a shame you're not in Melbourne. I have most, if not all the parts you need for the conversion. I may be able to post smaller parts, if you need them.

Good luck!

RippleEphex

VS Wagooon
Reaction score
Website
www.rippleephex.com.au
Members Ride
95' VS Wagon
Thanx
Yup sedan, ill only use parts off a 202 sedan so it all matches up pretty well (or parts i know will work)
From what ive been told from the people i bought it off (my brothers friend [he races old commodores i think]), i should be able to take the starfire out and drop a 202 straight it no trouble.
yeah its a shame living in tassie, very hard to get parts, there is 100 times more parts on the mainland :(