Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starr Manifold = for 355

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Can keep it all under bonnet if you want...many ways to do it like come single,redline single,t/p dual or ever edelbrock elbow adaptor with ls1 throttle body.

Banana tragics like Eyy & myself don't mind making less power to keep the stock looking engine bay except I'm envious he has starr grrr

ps Starr should have 90mm throttle body & you'll see the larger elbow casting cut & welded to manifold also 4 bolt flange....can do things like coatings for heat or add heatsheat in valley,powerporting if want more flow...comes down to wallet & look you want to achieve.

If don't use starr then you can go wilder with engine obviously.

Nice to know about keeping under bonnet.

Am leaning towards doing with the starr ( since I have and stockish look).
Yeah got it just over a year ago with fairly new 90ml throttle body and blue top injectors.

Was thinking if use it spend the coin on it and make it the best it can be eg hone/ port , ceramic coat and was thinking some sort of heat / valley shield just hadn't seen anywhere where someone had.

I'm sure if combo gells I will be more than happy and if not because it's only money and I'm stupid spend even more = if I have it.
I have some idea what I'll be spending = this , diff , eventually paint job , brakes to suite more performance and don't want to think about it but it will be staying with nme for along time.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Nice to know about keeping under bonnet.

Am leaning towards doing with the starr ( since I have and stockish look).
Yeah got it just over a year ago with fairly new 90ml throttle body and blue top injectors.

Was thinking if use it spend the coin on it and make it the best it can be eg hone/ port , ceramic coat and was thinking some sort of heat / valley shield just hadn't seen anywhere where someone had.

I'm sure if combo gells I will be more than happy and if not because it's only money and I'm stupid spend even more = if I have it.
I have some idea what I'll be spending = this , diff , eventually paint job , brakes to suite more performance and don't want to think about it but it will be staying with me for along time.
I know you have probably read my build thread, but 380-400 engine HP with 3.45 gearing and it's a blast (yes more is always better) so if you build the best possible combo to suit the Starr, I guarantee you will love having so much power with your stock look.
Keep in mind everything is a compromise, a bigger cam may hold power longer and hit your power goal, but also make it less enjoyable at gentle cruise and light throttle 'commute' times (if you every use it for that again.

I say 355", good headwork, roughly 9.8 or 10 comp, and cam to suit. Spend extra on a strong bottom end for revs, get intake anti-heat coated and oil shedding coating on the underside (that's what my bananas have).
Good heads will help at both ends of the equation.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I know you have probably read my build thread, but 380-400 engine HP with 3.45 gearing and it's a blast (yes more is always better) so if you build the best possible combo to suit the Starr, I guarantee you will love having so much power with your stock look.
Keep in mind everything is a compromise, a bigger cam may hold power longer and hit your power goal, but also make it less enjoyable at gentle cruise and light throttle 'commute' times (if you every use it for that again.

I say 355", good headwork, roughly 9.8 or 10 comp, and cam to suit. Spend extra on a strong bottom end for revs, get intake anti-heat coated and oil shedding coating on the underside (that's what my bananas have).
Good heads will help at both ends of the equation.

Yes I have. Thanks

Definitely leaning towards spending time &money on starr. eg honing, port matching ceramic coating and also thinking of attaching some sort of heat protection on underside.
Thinking / hopeing to make a custom carbon airbox ( hopefully including a hsv style otr intake
Already leaning towards over spending on decent bottom end( probably more than's required) = if it's done right and either not happy with overall results or eventually want more it's already there.

I take quite a while to decide on things = sometimes over think = as much as I love using as much as possible I'm adiment it's never going to be a daily again = only when I want to use.
Would love some AL heads ,although that's overkill ( probably) for what I'm after= but for the right price!!
Already regretting not upgrading brakes when I re- built them= with this direction I'm heading in.
I might add most of this could still be a few years off= hopefully gradually pick up parts = money ( ha ha isn't it always) and employment = although had some good news in that department = next 3 to 6 months should hopefully have a clearer picture on that!!!

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have seen 6240rpm on my bananas with 70mm t/b, thermal coatings and hand ported runners.
Not the best for it, but it happened.