Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Start/Stop Disable

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
first off i will point out that i will update this thread as i test/prefect the mod.

this is pretty much a mod for the s48e multifunction switch infront of the shifter which makes a pretty awesome vehicle even better by adding the ability for the switch states to be remembered through vehicle restarts and of course keep the stop/start function disabled through vehicle restarts when you turn it off.

a quick run down on the switch operation...
the S48E multifunction switch is an analog setup which basically just grounds wires that are pulled 12v high for the bcm to detect each switch press within the module.
by creating a arduino powered module to remember your last switch selection/setting and automatically grounding the selected wires we can repeat the switch press on vehicle startup without needing to physically press the switch each time you start the vehicle.

this first implementation is a "dumb" setup with no detection of the "current" switch state but it will toggle a saved on and off state.
each press of the physical switch will toggle on or off state in the arduino board and vehicle.
detection could be achieved by tapping into the wires that power each led but for now i do not think that is necessary but if that changes i will update this post.

i have attempted to make this mod with the most easily obtainable parts and least complicated method for diy purposes.

this is the arduino script
S48E_Mod.zip
Pastebin
this script will need to be flashed to the arduino board and you can find heaps of tutorials on youtube how to flash a script.

the main parts used are...

this mod was done in a rs v6 and had been designed to remember the start/stop, lane assist and sport mode buttons

these 2 pictures show which wires are needed to be cut and have the mod spliced in between.
s48e.jpg
plug.jpg

you basically add ignition switched power to the module and splice the module between the S48E plug and the vehicle so in this diagram you cut the start/stop wire and put the plug side to the board and the vehicle side to the relay bank following the colors in the diagram
diag.jpg

mod.jpg

the code is setup to have a delay of 5 seconds after vehicle starts to trigger the switches.
if this is a little bit confusing just wait a while and someone should develop a plug and play option from this info which would be the best way to achieve this mod.

Last edited:

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I got a mod for it...

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
Very interesting. I just switch it off every time I drive the car. You can also buy a plug in dongle for the OBD plug that deactivates it.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Very interesting. I just switch it off every time I drive the car. You can also buy a plug in dongle for the OBD plug that deactivates it.

Yeah i seen those obd ones but i also needed to disable the lane keep assist because the wife complains about it plus i like to tinker with stuff so i just made use of crap i had in the shed.
I think for most people just for the start stop disable the obd one is the way to go.

marsman

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB TOURER
where can I get /buy a plug in dongle ? Hate the stop start .

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
where can I get /buy a plug in dongle ? Hate the stop start .

the guys on the buick forums use these, if they do not ship to australia try find the same devices on ebay.

this is the thread on that forum

Last edited:

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
first off i will point out that i will update this thread as i test/prefect the mod.

this is pretty much a mod for the s48e multifunction switch infront of the shifter which makes a pretty awesome vehicle even better by adding the ability for the switch states to be remembered through vehicle restarts and of course keep the stop/start function disabled through vehicle restarts when you turn it off.

a quick run down on the switch operation...
the S48E multifunction switch is an analog setup which basically just grounds wires that are pulled 12v high for the bcm to detect each switch press within the module.
by creating a arduino powered module to remember your last switch selection/setting and automatically grounding the selected wires we can repeat the switch press on vehicle startup without needing to physically press the switch each time you start the vehicle.

this first implementation is a "dumb" setup with no detection of the "current" switch state but it will toggle a saved on and off state.
each press of the physical switch will toggle on or off state in the arduino board and vehicle.
detection could be achieved by tapping into the wires that power each led but for now i do not think that is necessary but if that changes i will update this post.

i have attempted to make this mod with the most easily obtainable parts and least complicated method for diy purposes.

this is the arduino script
S48E_Mod.zip
Pastebin
this script will need to be flashed to the arduino board and you can find heaps of tutorials on youtube how to flash a script.

the main parts used are...
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
[/URL][/URL][/URL]

this mod was done in a rs v6 and had been designed to remember the start/stop, lane assist and sport mode buttons

these 2 pictures show which wires are needed to be cut and have the mod spliced in between.
s48e.jpg
plug.jpg

you basically add ignition switched power to the module and splice the module between the S48E plug and the vehicle so in this diagram you cut the start/stop wire and put the plug side to the board and the vehicle side to the relay bank following the colors in the diagram
diag.jpg

mod.jpg

the code is setup to have a delay of 5 seconds after vehicle starts to trigger the switches.
if this is a little bit confusing just wait a while and someone should develop a plug and play option from this info which would be the best way to achieve this mod.
Ah um, boy oh boy my ZB 4 Cyl Petrol Turbo Sedan stop start is .. perfect .. it’s seamless, you virtually feel nothing, hear nothing, no shuddering, nothing. others have said the same. Never ever needed to turn it off.

My ZB car has done 25k now ..nothing to report, tyre wear … negligible.. as you all know, I say it’s a goldilocks car.

what will be my next car.. probably BYD ev called EAN Dolphin, but it’s delayed now till late 2022. But I love my ZB so much I’ll probably keep it for touring. Yep will be a problem eventually for parts… maybe. Rationally, I don’t need another car, rego etc but we aren’t on earth that long, I‘ll wait to test drive the Dolphin, but the wait to do that will be 12 months I think. .Its drive way price could be 37-38:k, but who knows

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Ah um, boy oh boy my ZB 4 Cyl Petrol Turbo Sedan stop start is .. perfect .. it’s seamless, you virtually feel nothing, hear nothing, no shuddering, nothing. others have said the same. Never ever needed to turn it off.

It needs more dragons mate ;)

Tezza's ZB

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB LT Sedan 4 cylinder 2 Litre Petrol Turbo
If an
It needs more dragons mate ;)
if anyone owned the ZB , in my case, the 4 cyl petrol turbo LT , they’d know how perfect the stop start is … you wouldn’t bother .. omg.. I jut looked at some posts, and people actually turn it off. I‘ m no sure whether the stop start is imperfect on models other than the ZB, but it’s not intrusive etc etc it’s brilliant.. the motor reviewers said so too some 3 years ago.

Last edited: