Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Start up issues

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
2018 Commodore ZB LT , 4cyl, 2.0 turbo, 9 speed, 60000km on the odo

Can anyone give me a few pointers before I bring it in to a mechanic so I don't get the wool pulled over my eyes. I've done basic car maintenance stuff on my 2000 Honda CRV, know how to read circuit diagrams, but don't know my way around this car yet.

Situation: It's an ex fleet car that I've bought 5 months ago. I've been using the auto start stop a lot in Sydney traffic a few times a week but also a monthly trip here and there Newcastle, Canberra etc, a few hours drive. I'm quite gentle with it and don't thrash it around.

Problem: I was in traffic on Friday, auto stopped as normal. Then it wouldn't start up again. Tried turning it off completely and starting up again but no dice. A very helpful driver tried to jump start me and it seemed to work so I thought it was a flat battery maybe. Drove for 3 hours, arrived at my destination, turned it off and tried to turn it on again immediately after just to check if its ok and it didn't turn on.

Been experimenting these past few days and I can't find a pattern. It usually starts up fine after a long break (2+ hours) but if not, I give it maybe 5 minutes and it'll work (but not always). After a decent drive (30+ min), if I turn if off and try turning it on immediately, it tends to work. It only doesn't seem to turn on after multiple successful start stops in a short period of time. I've tried starting it multiple times in a row and that doesn't seem to work. Jump starting hasn't had any success either so I think its a timing based or random thing. I've used both remote start and button start. The only thing I might flag up was the starting process seemed to start to lag a little based on the timing of my foot releasing the brake and the car starting to move during auto stop start , but that might be my mind playing tricks.

No engine light or battery light comes on, no error lights actually. There's no struggling to start noise from the engine, no engine noise at all actually, just a faint whirring that goes for about 3 seconds.

So I think I can eliminate the battery as an issue since when it starts, it starts up no problems. Possible loose electrical connections? Ignition coils? Starter motor failing? Alternator not charging battery all the time?
Currently trying to get my head around the manual stooge posted. Any advice or tests I can do would be helpful so I don't turn up to the mechanic, fail to reproduce the problem and look like a muppet.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Dodgy starter motor?

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
Any way I can go and test it with a multimeter or something?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Probably is. Try Google how to test starter motor

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
That's weird, I have exact opposite issue... my stop/start use to work and now it won't stop when at a traffic light, I have even enabled and disabled the option with the button and no dice. Does your vehicle have two batteries?

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
That's weird, I have exact opposite issue... my stop/start use to work and now it won't stop when at a traffic light, I have even enabled and disabled the option with the button and no dice. Does your vehicle have two batteries?

Definitely does not have two batteries, it's fairly stock standard.

I've come across that issue on my parent's Range Rover Sport SI4 SE (2016?). I suspect it's a software issue because there's a very specific set of conditions that must be fulfilled for it to stop and it could be one of them just being reported the wrong way to the auto stop/start controller

Ceramic

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB RS AWD V6
Definitely does not have two batteries, it's fairly stock standard.

I've come across that issue on my parent's Range Rover Sport SI4 SE (2016?). I suspect it's a software issue because there's a very specific set of conditions that must be fulfilled for it to stop and it could be one of them just being reported the wrong way to the auto stop/start controller
Interesting, I did ask Holden if there was a software update available when I took the vehicle in during February and I was told that there wasn't.

frobekobe

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Commodore
Went to the mechanic, they replaced the starter and that was that. Seems to be running fine so far but I'm always turning off the Auto Start Stop now. Maybe the starter just happened to be a dud? Has anyone else had starter issues?