Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Start-up problem

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Hey everyone, just a quick question.

I am thinking of buying a mates VS Calais. Only negative thing I know about the car is that sometimes, to turn on the car, you need to put it in reverse or neutral (can't remember exactly which one he told me) and then into park whilst twisting the key in the ignition. Does anyone know what the cause of this could be? I was thinking maybe an immobiliser could be doing it (if one is installed) or the ignition itself... My mate doesn't know what it is as he's never had the problem looked at; he's just gotten used to the fact.

I'm just hoping it's nothing to do with the transmission or anything. And if you haven't noticed yet and before you ask, it is an auto.

Thanks guys!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
It sounds like the auto trans neutral safety switch under the console near the gear shift lever is stuffed..Its easily replaced..

ChoppaReid

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series II Supercharged Statesman
I second that vote (parking inhibitor switch).
mine started playing up a while ago and I had to 'lean' on the gear shift in park to start it.
luckily the problem has gone away, but i will get to changing it one day if it starts to re-occur as two different mechanics suggested if it fails there will be no starting the car until it is replaced.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
park nuetral switch dead or cable/rod needs adjustment

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Music to my ears.

Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like an easy fix then. Any idea on how much it will cost me to get it replaced/fixed?

astormsau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II
You can replace the unit yourself, remove the panel around the gear shift, disconnect the wiring for the cig lighter and pull out the ash tray, twist the plate 90 degrees and lift it off... do a search on VR/ VS stereo removal for the procedure as this part needs to be removed in order to get to the stereo.

Once you have removed it you will see a little electrical unit screwed in next to the gear shift. There is a thread on here, its about reverse lights not working on vr/vs , caused by a fault in the same part. You might be able to clean to fix (see reverse light thread) or may need to replace.

Drew

PorkoWog

Reaction score
Website
www.turt.me
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Awesome, thanks a lot Drew. If I end up getting the car I'll give it a go myself and hope for the best. Thanks everyone for the help!