Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Start VFII SV6 without key

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by chaffro, Apr 16, 2019.

1. chaffro

chaffro New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SV6
    My parents recently had their VFII SV6 stolen... without the key.

CCTV of the event shows it taking about 20 minutes to get into the car, then somehow start it and drive away.

A visit to our local dealership had the service manager shaking his head - no one seems to know how the car could have been started without the key present.

I’d imagine a standard scan tool couldn’t be used to simply get around the security system and get the car started? If it’s that easy, we’re all at risk!

I’m at a bit of a loss as to how they could have done it without some sort of Holden workshop software or tools. What are your theories?

2. abuch47

abuch47 Active Member

Members Ride:
    LSS3 OOT
    amplify the signal of your parents key to mimic the proximity remote start.

3. chaffro

chaffro New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SV6
    Even if the key was 18 floors up in a high rise?

4. apollo13

apollo13 Member

Members Ride:
    VE LPG
    Perhaps a PCM which had VATS nobbled. If they plugged that in, then maybe as easy to steal as a Kingswood?

chaffro likes this.
  5. HarryHoudini

HarryHoudini Active Member

Members Ride:
    1991 VN ..2012 VE Sportwagon.
    With the German cars a few years back it was inside Info. from the Dealerships getting a key cut.
    Police kept it quiet but also a few years back a mobile mechanic was taking a photo of the Vin and getting his mates to cut a key and coming back a Month or so later to take car.
    All this doesn't take 20 mins. to steal a car so must be something else going on unless they are hiding the fact they do have a key.

6. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    Considering the vf2 sv6 has passive entry and start if they somehow had the pkes data stored they would have been able to open the door as quickly as they started it and it would have been as quick as having the key not 20 minutes.

If they just had a copy of the keyfob then it would have taken time to get the door open then they could start it pretty easy but the horn alarm and lights should have been going off until the vehicle was started.

On the cctv did you see the indicators flashing or hear the horn alarm when they opened the door?

You pretty much cant copy the keyfob unless you have the key as it is like a rfid chip and does not actively transmit like the pkes.

If you use valet parking the key could have been copied?
    Having the key is one thing you also need to know where the vehicle is parked and 18 floors high rise says parking compound to me.

I would be looking at who had access to the physical key, if the vehicle was second hand then the previous owners and so on because it sounds to me like they had the fob but not the key or pkes which would explain the 20 minutes to get the door open.

Lex likes this.
  7. chaffro

chaffro New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SV6
    So I can’t say too much, but the Police have provided a bit more detail around what happened based on the CCTV footage.

Looks like the locksmith programmed some new keys, which were then used to start the car and drive off.

8. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    Did this happen in Tamworth?

9. chaffro

chaffro New Member

Members Ride:
    VF II SV6
    Nah - Gold Coast

10. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), 97 VS, 17 Carnival Platinum
    That doesn't explain why it took 20mins.

When/why was a locksmith involved with the car? Seems strange that they would take such
    a risk to pinch a common SV6? And even with my old crud box VS, I had to go to Holden and prove ownership to get the BCM and key code which was needed alongside the VIN to program a new key. Surely VF has Something like that as well?

Something doesn't add up sorry.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    Z31na likes this.
  11. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    I would be looking at who had access to the key because it looks like the fob was copied.

You can simulate what was explained on a passive entry/start vehicle by locking the vehicle then taking the battery out of the key so the pkes is disabled.
    then use the key to unlock the door to simulate someone using a jimmy tool to open it.
    When you open the door the alarm will sound so you get in and put the key near the console or inside the slot in the console if you like then just foot on brake and press start, the alarm will stop and you drive away.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  12. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Possibly the crooks simply did a man in the middle attach using a SDR and a laptop. As such they could have pinched a few rolling codes while your parents were locking or unlocking their car at a shopping centre car park. With those pinched codes, it should be a very simple entry and start process taking the same time as if you had the key. But may be these silly crooks laptop had windows 10 and was busy in a restart loop for 20 minutes after an update o_O:p

On a serious note, how would these crooks program a new key unless they had full access to GM’s workshop system which I thought was limited access for the security bits. I thought the security bits were simply not available via normal subscription.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Philmecrackun likes this.
  13. stooge

stooge Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV
    If they "stole" codes from the pkes it would not have taken 20 minutes to open the door.

14. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    yeah I know. Was making a joke about Windows 10 :rolleyes:

snortings and Philmecrackun like this.