Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Start VFII SV6 without key

chaffro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6
My parents recently had their VFII SV6 stolen... without the key.

CCTV of the event shows it taking about 20 minutes to get into the car, then somehow start it and drive away.

A visit to our local dealership had the service manager shaking his head - no one seems to know how the car could have been started without the key present.

I’d imagine a standard scan tool couldn’t be used to simply get around the security system and get the car started? If it’s that easy, we’re all at risk!

I’m at a bit of a loss as to how they could have done it without some sort of Holden workshop software or tools. What are your theories?

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
amplify the signal of your parents key to mimic the proximity remote start.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG

CCTV of the event shows it taking about 20 minutes to get into the car, then somehow start it and drive away.

A visit to our local dealership had the service manager shaking his head - no one seems to know how the car could have been started without the key present.

I’d imagine a standard scan tool couldn’t be used to simply get around the security system and get the car started? If it’s that easy, we’re all at risk!

I’m at a bit of a loss as to how they could have done it without some sort of Holden workshop software or tools. What are your theories?

Perhaps a PCM which had VATS nobbled. If they plugged that in, then maybe as easy to steal as a Kingswood?

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.

With the German cars a few years back it was inside Info. from the Dealerships getting a key cut.
Police kept it quiet but also a few years back a mobile mechanic was taking a photo of the Vin and getting his mates to cut a key and coming back a Month or so later to take car.
All this doesn't take 20 mins. to steal a car so must be something else going on unless they are hiding the fact they do have a key.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Considering the vf2 sv6 has passive entry and start if they somehow had the pkes data stored they would have been able to open the door as quickly as they started it and it would have been as quick as having the key not 20 minutes.

If they just had a copy of the keyfob then it would have taken time to get the door open then they could start it pretty easy but the horn alarm and lights should have been going off until the vehicle was started.

On the cctv did you see the indicators flashing or hear the horn alarm when they opened the door?

You pretty much cant copy the keyfob unless you have the key as it is like a rfid chip and does not actively transmit like the pkes.

If you use valet parking the key could have been copied?
Having the key is one thing you also need to know where the vehicle is parked and 18 floors high rise says parking compound to me.

I would be looking at who had access to the physical key, if the vehicle was second hand then the previous owners and so on because it sounds to me like they had the fob but not the key or pkes which would explain the 20 minutes to get the door open.

chaffro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SV6
So I can’t say too much, but the Police have provided a bit more detail around what happened based on the CCTV footage.

Looks like the locksmith programmed some new keys, which were then used to start the car and drive off.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

Did this happen in Tamworth?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
the locksmith programmed some new keys, which were then used to start the car and drive off.

That doesn't explain why it took 20mins.

When/why was a locksmith involved with the car? Seems strange that they would take such
a risk to pinch a common SV6? And even with my old crud box VS, I had to go to Holden and prove ownership to get the BCM and key code which was needed alongside the VIN to program a new key. Surely VF has Something like that as well?

Something doesn't add up sorry.

Last edited: