Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter doesn't want to crank over

mayjor

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vrss
firstly my 94 VR SS started to run like a pig after about five minutes so I have replaced the ignition module and coil and now it runs fine but hears the problem before I replaced the 2 above mentioned items it was having starting issues very slow to crank over and since I've replaced the ignition module and coil it is still slow to crank could it be that the starter is on the way out?

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Could be, but could be a lot of other things worth checking first like battery-how old and holding charge/giving out full cranking amps/is it enough cca in the first place?
Condition of battery posts and terminals?
Earth from battery to body?
Good connection of main power cable to starter? (can come loose)
Neutral lockout switch on shifter a little bit dodgy? (common problem with these models)

mayjor

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vrss
Cheers I'll check the battery voltage tomorrow also I don't know how old the battery is, I'll also check the connection to the starter, the terminals are in good condition as I've replaced them but I'll go over all the connections tomorrow to see if I've missed anything

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
Been there done that with my own vr ss ;) How long have you owned the car?....has it always had starting issues or does it only struggle when engine hot or cold? Make sure you check how many cca the battery is in the first place, when I brought my Senator (with 5L) it had a 450 cca battery that struggled when the engine was warm, upgraded to a 680 cca and starting problem gone. Still have some photos in my profile page if you're keen for a look at my old ss

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Wife's VZ V6 was doing the same, slow cranking, and sometimes just the odd click click.
Put new battery in, all good.