Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

starter motor question on a vp series 2

iwannanewcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE Berlina sportswagon
hi guys,

i need to change the starter motor on my 1993 vp station wagon series 2, i got a 2nd hand motor from a place where i get all my parts from. the motor looks different to the ones thats on my car and i was seeing if there is a different motor on the series 2 compared to series 1? i don,t think i mentioned that my car is series 2 so thought i may have the wrong one. Also I'm having alot of trouble getting the old motor off, any tips to get the bolts off??? ive tryed spraying RP7 but they won,t budge. hoping to try what i can before giving up and spending the money on a mechanic.

thanks for everyones help in advance

shreks vp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ V8 statesman
there is a few different starters the bolts should crack and undo with the right size socket or spanner

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
They are also different from auto to manual and I think there is a bolt at the front holding them in which you will need to remove the exhaust manifold to get at. Are you planning on taking it out from the bottom or top? If you take it out fromthe bottom you have to move the steering rack.
Also don't forget to disconnect the battery vefore you try and move it and if the bolts are frozen just use a socket with a long bar, say 600mm.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I thought the mounting bolts were pretty easy to get at on a VP. Got to be done from below but access is really easy. It's a bit more difficult to get at the electrical connections on the front end of the starter
Good luck