Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter motor sounds like a machine gun with no ammo

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
More or less summed it up in the title, but here's the details:

The car has been off the road for a couple of months just while I fix various bits and pieces on it, I've just done a stack of bits today (harmonic balancer, O2 Sensor, Crank Angle Sensor, thermostat, radiator...). I hooked a battery to it (brand new optima red-top) and turned the key.

No Joy.

The starter just keeps on clicking away trying to turn the engine. I can spin the engine by hand with a socket on the balancer so I know it's not siezed. I had my better half have a look while I was in the driver's seat, the engine slowly creeps around a little bit. The alternator fins move :thumbsup:

Anyone had this before? I'm thinking starter motor needs replacing, but want a second (3rd, 4th and 5th) opinion before a rip into it.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Yeah sounds like the solenoid is playing up. You can try giving it a few taps with a hammer that might work. I had a similar issue on a vk i got the end cap (where the wires go to) replaced and it was fine after that but it maybe easier getting one from the wreckers

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
So the when you trun the key the starter motor truns the engine but only just whilst its making a clicking noise?

VNexecutive

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5L
happened to me in my old car, was a dead battery. obviously you've said you hooked up a new battery so that kinda ruins that theory. is it possible to get a bung battery?

coolvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
5sp VN Executive1988, VX SS 6sp
Mine makes that noise when have flat battery

fatty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Bad earth can do this too make sure your negative terminal is tight

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Cheers guys, I know the battery is good, tested it in another car. I'll chase through all the electrical gremlins then try replacing the solenoid.

@Pub24/7: It clicks like crazy, and only JUST manages to move the engine around a couple of degrees, can't turn it over.

I tried the old wrist-breaker technique of throwing a socket on the crank shaft bolt and wrenching on that while my better half turned the key. It REALLY wants to start, but the starter just isn't being nice to me.

BTW: Just to prove it wasn't the battery, I tried jump starting it. Same result.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
power cable from your battery to starter has finally packed it in. TO test this, charge your battery good and then go to jump start it like usual but put the positive jumper lead right on tthe terminal of the starter and see how she fires up then.

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
give the battery clamps a good thorough clean - you want 'em spotless..

spoonfork

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina
I had exactly the same thing on my VP. my problem ended being a flat battery. Even when I jumpered it, it was still doing the same thing. The old battery was causing massive current drain on the jumpered new battery. I had to physically remove old battery. If you've already done that it could be a bad negative connection.
Thanks to VrWagz1.