Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter motor!

Noddy 2750

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodores ute
Was wondering if your starter motor is not working will it make a noise, like a clicking sound?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Was wondering if your starter motor is not working will it make a noise, like a clicking sound?
Yes. It can be a bad battery too so probably pays to check it first as it’s more likely to be the problem.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Disconnect the battery and clean the battery posts and clamps thoroughly and try again.
If that don't work and it still clicks then tap the starter with a hammer, don't beat the daylights out of it just a couple of friendly taps to jar the brushes into place.
They get caught in the housing and don't make good contact with the armature.
A jump start may be needed or a new battery or starter

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I've found more than one going tick tick tick due to a bad connection one of the battery terminals a while ago I changed a starter on a vp for a young apprentice it arrived on a trailer he had a new starter claimed the old one was rooted, changed it with out looking at anything the new starter did the same as the old one bad connection around battery terminals. pity the apprentice electrician didn't know how to use his multi meter

Noddy 2750

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodores ute
Yes. It can be a bad battery too so probably pays to check it first as it’s more likely to be the problem.
No battery good,
I Just had a new incetio
Have checked battery all good,
Did get a new ignition barrel on Friday, it drove home ok! Next day would not start, just been out to car &it started,
Turned it off & did the oil & water check, then went back to car not starting again!
I think the barrel is not connecting probably?
Any thoughts?

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
LOL really, you got a new barrel and now you tell us.
You should get it started and take it back to the barrel installer cause it's their problem

Noddy 2750

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodores ute
LOL really, you got a new barrel and now you tell us.
You should get it started and take it back to the barrel installer cause it's their problem
Well was not sure if starter motor but when it started that's when barrel came mind.
Also the little green light just above the barrel is not working either!
Thanks for your replies

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
All sorted!
It was the little silver ball on the the starter key not connecting to the metal rim around the ignition barrel!
Simple ha ha ha
Thanks
Yeah pretty common. The knob wears down after all the years of key turning. My old ute was like that except I just used to get nothing. Turn the key back and go again and it normally went.