Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting issue with 02 Berlina

Dolo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but I am at wits end with my car.

I have a 2002 Holden Berlin's with 230k km on the clock, and in addition to being my transportation, it is also my home. I have had a reoccurring issue with it having problems starting up, cold and hot, the engine cranks and cranks but either catches at about 500rpm and dies after a few seconds or doesn't catch at all. This happens seemingly randomly, and I've had it towed to mechanics 4 times now, after 3 of which it started as soon as the mechanic tried to turn it on. I've tried to start it on both petrol and LPG, as I have an aftermarket duel fuel system. Please help...I've spent all my money trying g to get it fixed but every time a mechanic does something it runs for a week and this happens again, leaving me stranded.

Things repaired so far:

New battery about 6 months ago
New fuel pump 4 months ago (replaced twice)
Ignition coil replaced 1 week ago
Ignition relay 1 week ago
Ignition module? 1 week ago

The last mechanic changed the coil, which got it running for about an hour but it stalled out and wouldn't restart again, after which he towed it back to his shop and replaced the relay and module (I think? Not sure as I have no paperwork for the second repair, he did it on his own dime) which got me going for about a week. He told me that if that doesn't fix it he doesn't want to see it again, and that it might be a crank angle sensor, a cam angle sensor, or some wiring problem. At this point I am so fed up with this issue I want to just abandon the car and leave, but want to give it one more shot. What can I do? I am almost out of money trying to keep this car going! I know that if I get it towed it will start again as soon as it rolls off the truck and I will look like a crazy person.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
sounds like dfi module
is this what you mean by ignition module
was module new that was fitted
the dfi module controls ignition timing during cranking

Dolo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Berlina
sounds like dfi module
is this what you mean by ignition module
was module new that was fitted
the dfi module controls ignition timing during cranking

Thanks for your response. I am not sure of the details, and I will call the mechanic who did it on Monday to ask, but I assume that it was new, and as I am not a mechanic I think that it must have been the DFI module.