Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting issues 3.8L VR

Roh1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L Ute
So I recently inherited a rusty 94 VR ute which had been sitting round the last 6months. I was able to jump start it and ride it round for a bit. Then the other day I tried starting it and no fire. It cranks but doesnt start up. So far I have tried the following:

Checked engine codes for faults - none
Checked for spark - fine, also sprayed crc in the intake and it started to fire briefly
Checked fuel - intake and return hoses squirt fuel when fuel pump is turned on

So I dont know what next to do. Does anyone have any advise?? Thanks in advance

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Because you got it to fire with crc, It's fuel related. I think you're fuel pump is nackered. Have someone put their head next to the tank, then turn your key to reds, the pump should prime for 2 sec. If they can't hear it, anew pump will be needed.

Roh1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8L Ute
Because you got it to fire with crc, It's fuel related. I think you're fuel pump is nackered. Have someone put their head next to the tank, then turn your key to reds, the pump should prime for 2 sec. If they can't hear it, anew pump will be needed.

Hey thanks ephect. I can hear the noise when I turn the key to red. Also when I disconnected the fuel lines at the engine and turned the key to red petrol pumped out. Maybe I should get a pressure gauge to check that it has adequate pressure? Thanks for your advice