Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problem

Adem1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Holden commodore be sv6
Hey guys my bcm was not responding on a 2007 Holden commodore sv6 ve, got told to replace it by buying a second hand kit so I got a whole kit with all numbers matching my bcm ecu and got a new key reader With a key and a barrel with it. I have changed it all and now It says engine immobilised and car won’t start what do you reckon the issue is.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Your Key Needs to be programmed into the BMC,
and
then into the Wireless Remote Control to Lock/Unlock the car.

Your Addy says Melbourne, What suburb are you in Melbourne ?

Adem1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 Holden commodore be sv6
Your Key Needs to be programmed into the BMC,
and
then into the Wireless Remote Control to Lock/Unlock the car.

Your Addy says Melbourne, What suburb are you in Melbourne ?

im in the northern suburbs Craigieburn
The mechanic told me his done something like this previously and once the kit was installed as in the new bcm ecu barrel and key reader with the key that came with it, it should automatically read the key because it came off the same car but yeh I guess something isn’t right

Travis Blackman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais turbo, Vz SV6, Ve Calais
@Adem1995 , how did you go mate?
I have a similar issue. Bought an 06 Calais and the owner had lost the keys. Got new keys cut/programmed and the motor won't turn over. I bridged the starter relay connections to make sure that it cranks etc. All good. The stereo power goes out when I turn the key to crank. All roads are leading to the BCM. I have access to a donor vehicle for a new key/barrel/key reader/BCM/ECM.
Did you still have to get everything reprogrammed to the vehicle when you replaced everything?
Thinking that I will either go this way or send the faulty bcm off with a second hand unit to have it reprogrammed to the vin of my vehicle. Any help would be appreciated. Don't feel like doing my arse on any unnecessary expenses.
Cheers

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
im in the northern suburbs Craigieburn
The mechanic told me his done something like this previously and once the kit was installed as in the new bcm ecu barrel and key reader with the key that came with it, it should automatically read the key because it came off the same car but yeh I guess something isn’t right
It’s way more complicated than that. There are quite a few VIN matched modules throughout the car. If they don’t match to the ECU you have, there may well be a problem. I’m still finding out new modules that are VIN matched on VE.

Even simple things like reverse sensor modules, airbag modules, fuel pump module, headunit, mismatch will create issues. The list goes on and on. They are all interconnected via a CANbus network. Most modern cars have this.

One wire networks are something I’m looking forward to. Haltec are introducing these to their newer ECM/BCM systems.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I should mention, the method used so far is valid on VZ. There aren’t loads of VIN matched modules on those.

Travis Blackman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Fu Manchu, thankyou Sir. It seems that Holden's Billion dollar baby is a pain in the butt. This overcomplicated system with design flaws (component failures) is going to result in lots of vehicles being deemed beyond economical repair. Especially in remote areas with limited tech support like where I am at. Looks like I will roll the dice and send off the original BCM with a second hand replacement unit to get reprogrammed to the same vin as the original unit. Going to have a further investigation into ecu earthing as I read on another thread that this can be a potential issue.
For future reference, if I purchased a Tech2 diagnostic scanner with the latest updated software (up to 2012 apparently) could I potentially be able to sync these components? Or does that require a subscription with Holden to obtain security codes?
Sorry to sound like a dinosaur, I am a mechanic by trade who has been off the tools in the automotive industry for a while.
Once again any input on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Travis Blackman

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey all, just thought I would give an update.
Went through the main power feed from the battery through to the + post in the engine bay through to the alternator and main fuse box supply and cleaned up all the connections. I also cleaned up any earth's that I could see. Reconnected the battery and functioned the key remote off/on, turned the key and bam. The engine cranked over and fired! Took a couple of goes to actually get it running but it is now running with no codes being thrown for the engine. There is still an ABS fault code P0500 there, but that is the next chapter. Cheers