Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting problems

N

noodle2100

VT S2 intermittent starting problem, all lights on dash show but starter doesn't engage. lock and unlock car, put into N and then back to P, try again might or might not start. try again and with luck it will go. any hints from anyone with similar problems as to what the answer is!!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Could be the neutral start switch which stops the car from starting in gear. I have the same problem sometimes and like you I take it out of park and push it back into park a little harder and it usually starts. Try starting it in neutral, it often works for me.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
Most likely the selector linkage like accentstencil said. Nothing major, you'll just need to get it readjusted. You can do it yourself if you've got ramps or a jack and stands.

WAGON MAN

Gas Sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S2 Berlina Wagon with Phreddied bits.
accentstencil said:
Could be the neutral start switch which stops the car from starting in gear. I have the same problem sometimes and like you I take it out of park and push it back into park a little harder and it usually starts. Try starting it in neutral, it often works for me.

Hopefully one less problem for you accentstencil with your new box.

Have you installed it yet?:p

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
WAGON MAN said:
Hopefully one less problem for you accentstencil with your new box.

Have you installed it yet?:p
No I haven't installed it yet but hopefully I will get it done soon. I'm not in a real hurry as the old one is not too bad, I just don't expect it to last much longer havind done 263.000 kms. A lot of those kms were done towing a trailer with heavy loads, sometimes well over a ton. I just thought I would snap up the other one for $152 and have it on hand rather than wait till I needed one and have to pay a lot more.

beeks

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 5sp MKII + DR 600S
noodle2100 said:
VT S2 intermittent starting problem, all lights on dash show but starter doesn't engage. lock and unlock car, put into N and then back to P, try again might or might not start. try again and with luck it will go. any hints from anyone with similar problems as to what the answer is!!
Could be your starter motor.

doug05

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8Z Monaro & VF2 SSV Redline
Mine did a similar thing a while ago, all lights engaged and when i went to start it, nothing....

Found out eventually it was the starter relay. A nice cheap fix!

fudlop

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commy
my mate car was doing exactly the same thing, turned out the key was stuffed.

Gothevu

Off the chain
Reaction score
Members Ride
VU S2 Ute - 5 sp manual
Could even be your battery terminals, just get em a clean and see if thats a problem