Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

starting problems

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
iam in the same situation as synical, my car was sitting in the last persons backyard for bout 6months b4 i bought and my starting problems arnt as bad but when i start the car maybe 3 times out of ten it draws all the power to start the car that he stereo resets so i have to tune all the stations and everything again.

it used to be bout 8 times out of ten but has slowly gotten better but still s**ts me,
also everytime i start the car the engine light stays on for bout 5 seconds which im pretty sure should turn off straight away with the other reds

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
iam in the same situation as synical, my car was sitting in the last persons backyard for bout 6months b4 i bought and my starting problems arnt as bad but when i start the car maybe 3 times out of ten it draws all the power to start the car that he stereo resets so i have to tune all the stations and everything again.

it used to be bout 8 times out of ten but has slowly gotten better but still s**ts me,
also everytime i start the car the engine light stays on for bout 5 seconds which im pretty sure should turn off straight away with the other reds

yes it should, check the codes and go from there...the engine light will show a code if it is staying on...

synical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2

is it just clicking when u try and crank the engine or does it make a bad bad sound?

if people want, i can record the sound and post it up as an mp3. might be a better explanation. i really want to get this solved, and im hoping its a simple problem, instead of taking it to an auto electrician who probably wouldnt have a clue in wats going on.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
my friend had the same problem in a VS
it was that bad the starter stayed engauged (new starter new batt but prob still remained)
i had to turn the motor by hand to free the starter, and then it would start.
he has the problem fixed so i will ask him what it was.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
is it just clicking when u try and crank the engine or does it make a bad bad sound?

if people want, i can record the sound and post it up as an mp3. might be a better explanation. i really want to get this solved, and im hoping its a simple problem, instead of taking it to an auto electrician who probably wouldnt have a clue in wats going on.

it doesnt make a real bad sound, what mine does is when i go to start it i have to really hold the key on and it sorta turns over the bout3 secs pause the it starts.

its not a new battery but i just put it in out of my v8, and if it starts my v8 in no more than 1 sec then it should be good for a v6

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
always check codes then go from there could even be a sensor...

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
i cant find the right link for vt/x so can someone help me out with checking the codes.

i just want to know what holes to connect the paper clip and then ill put up the results or something unless someone kows a link

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Bridge terminals 5&6 on the diagnostic connector, turn ignition on and count the flashes of the warning light. It will start with 12 three times. Fist flash (tens) then a short pause and 2 flashes (units). Then it will move on to any other logged codes, it will repeat each code three times. Remember, first lot of flashes are tens and the second lot are single units. Example: 4 flashes, pause, 2 flashes = 42. When it does code 12 again, it has completed the cycle.

synical

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
did wat accentstencil has said
error codes that i could read were

any idea wat these faults are?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
did wat accentstencil has said
error codes that i could read were

any idea wat these faults are?

12. Satisfactory operation
44. RH oxygen sensor (lean signal)
64. LH oxygen sensor (lean signal)
Looks like it's time to replace the oxygen sonsors. You will notice a difference in how your engine runs.