Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting Troubles, please help!

J_Felma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Hey guys, so I have a VY Commodore with intermittent starting issues. I have seen a few threads about the same problem but none with real conclusive answers that have worked on my car. This issue has been occurring for a couple of months now and has cost me a small fortune taking it to mechanics who can't seem to fix the problem. So this is a last resort to try and diagnose it myself as I am nearly ready to push it off a bloody cliff.

More often than not the car starts fine, but every now a then (when least convenient) it will turnover but will not fire. Once its running its generally fine but very rarely it will fire, cough and splutter and then die. When it won't start the 'check engine light' comes up which throws the 'crank angle sensor' code. Hence I have and the CAS replaced twice in 2 months by separate mechanics as they apparently fault quite regularly, but the problem persists (never at the mechanics workshop). So far I have tried:
- New 2 x CAS, 2 weeks ago
- New Harmonic Balancer, 2 months ago
- New plugs, 6 months ago
- New fuel filter, 6 months ago
- Tried both keys, immobiliser light goes out with both when in ignition
- Had battery load tested, ok
- Checked plug leads, seem ok (about 5 years old)

The only possible things I can think of are the DFI module, relays and maybe the fuel pump but I want to narrow it down before I fork out the cash to replace everything. If anyone can help me find out what the heck is going on it will be my shout. Once fixed the next predicament will be do I hang onto it as I have spent so much on it or flick it before something else goes wrong?

Happy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Executive S2 3.8 Ecotec
Hi J, Which crank angle sensor fault code number is thrown up?

J_Felma

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Not too sure mate, mechanics just said it was crank angle sensor fault code. I could probably give them a call tomorrow to find out. Pretty frustrating as they just see the fault code and replace the sensor but don't delve any deeper into the issue.