Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting VX SS with deployed airbags

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Hi,

I'm looking at buying a donor car which is a VX SS that has been written off due to having a front on accident. I am using the LS1 and 6 speed out of it for a project car. Don't have any experience with VX Commodores or airbags but the accident set the airbags off and apparently the car doesn't start because of this. Is this true? I asked if the car started and could be driven and he said no due to the airbag error.

Also, if it is true, I have heard about clearing error codes with OBD-II plugs and stuff. I was told about getting a bluetooth OBD-II plug and using my phone with an app called DashCommand or similar to clear the code or turn it off completely. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any advice on what products/apps/software to use? And do the airbags have to be fixed for the error to be cleared?

Thanks for your help!

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
an airbag gone off wont stop the car from starting
fords have a fuel pump switch in the lh kick plate that sometimes goes if its in an accident but have driven plenty of commodores with airbags gone off.
have you personally tried starting it?
does it turn over and just not start or not even turn over?

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Ohh ok. Well I don't know what this guy is on about then. I haven't personally tried starting it so I can't answer your other questions. I'll see what he says

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
i do know the cfs/mfs/ses etc cut the wire to the battery or remove the terminal. when they get to the scene, could even be a flat battery.

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Ok I got the car home today after many dramas and tried to kick it over. When I turn the key all the dash lights come on and it says ERROR under the speedo, then you can hear the starter motor 'ticking' like it's trying to start but it doesn't crank over. All the lights and radio and stuff work so not sure if it would be a dead battery...the power windows don't work though. Reckon this could be fuse issues? Or something else common?

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
try jump starting it or another battery.

VY_SP4C

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SPac
if the starter motor is ticking it sounds like a flat battery iv had batteries that flat my windows wouldn't go down before but radio was on I would be starting with a new battery

Gilly91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute
Ok just to close this thread, it turns out it was all just electrical problems stopping the car from starting:

Replaced blown fuses
Fixed fuse box where impact had made fuses come loose/fall out
Used a battery that I knew had charge in it

So then I checked the engine for oil, removed the thermo fans in case they were fouling on the serpentine belt or any moving parts, refilled the cooling system as some radiator hoses were ruined, turned the key and to my surprise it turned over first go!! The engine sounds smooth and the exhaust note is nice. Very happy something worked first go for once haha