Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Startup and idle issues

Discussion in 'VT - VX Holden Commodore (1997 - 2002)' started by Tasha13, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Tasha13

Tasha13 New Member

Members Ride:
    Bx
    Hi first time post

I have a vx commodore 2000 that is impossible this week to start in the morning, temp have been cooler but this is ridiculous. Turns over then usually idles a few seconds then shuts off. if it actually idles it has a weird pause shudder intermittently.

After about 5 minutes of restarting swearing etc it something seems to change and the idle clears and I can drive it all day no issues. Could this be the iac or something throttle related maybe?

Has all new coils and module, new battery, leads and plugs done oct last year. New alternator and rocket covers and just redone the radiator hoses and coolant etc.

It won’t let me upload the video so hopefully this link works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vn63dmvunhihu7/Video 15-11-18, 8 20 56 am.mov?dl=0

2. lout

lout Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VX Executive S2
    check the purge valve

Tasha13 likes this.
  3. Tasha13

Tasha13 New Member

Members Ride:
    Bx
    Thankyou will do

4. Tasha13

Tasha13 New Member

Members Ride:
    Bx

Is this the purge valve solenoid? Drivers side at the rear of the motor? Sorry I can’t find a location diagram and manual shows no location either

Attached Files:

5. immortality

immortality Moderator Staff Member

Members Ride:
    HSV VS Senator, VX s2 Calais S/C
    It couldn't hurt to clean the throttle body and IAC as well as the MAF. How many km's on those plugs?

Tasha13 likes this.
  6. Tasha13

Tasha13 New Member

Members Ride:
    Bx
    Throttle body was cleaned a month or so ago for me when I had idling issues. I changed plugs and leads only October last year. Spark from coils is really strong and once has finally started in the morning runs fine without skipping a beat all day. Just after it sits for 5 hours or more is a bitch to start again. I will check out the MAF and the IAC, I though maybe IAC at first.

Took it down to mechanic who’s done the bigger jobs for me to see if he could show me the purge valve and he didn’t even know what I was talking about I googled it for him and showed him and he said he’s never changed one so can’t be it. I think I need a different mechanic to do the things I can’t ‍♀️

BowTie likes this.
  7. gohrdrgomad

gohrdrgomad Active Member

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    it is possible you have a fuel pressure issue in my opinion. If it does eventually get started and runs all day, once the fuel pump loosens up or the fuel pressure increases or even any solid matter in the system like fule rails and lines or pick up can shift until after a long sit like 5 hrs it looses pressure or re clots again. Try some liquie Molly fuel system treatment in a gold steel 500 ml tin at repo about $24. You wont be disappointed with its effectiveness.

8. Tasha13

Tasha13 New Member

Members Ride:
    Bx
    New fuel pump and filter 2 years ago, doesn’t mean that I haven’t picked up some dirty fuel with all the running around for cheap petrol these days though. At this point I am willing to try almost anything, it certainly can’t hurt when turning it over and it not firing it is like there is no fuel, if the purge solenoid is faulty that would affect the pressure also yes?

9. immortality

Members Ride:
    Fuel pressure issues or fuel injector problem. A fuel pressure test wouldn't hurt. Could also be a tired fuel pump.

10. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    lm not certain if it would..Why is it the problem.

11. immortality

Members Ride:
    There have been a couple of instances where these type of issues re-appeared after doing a fuel pump, in those cases it turned out to be non genuine type pumps that were failing. Fuel pressure test to confirm.

12. gohrdrgomad

Members Ride:
    VxCaly57
    Change the fuel filter asap as 2 yrs is to long, every 6 months or 10-15000 km best in my opinion. If you put the lique Molly in tomorrow when filling up, it will dissolve whats stored inside the filter and the engine will burn it.
    After about 100 km you will notice some dark exhaust fume on exeleration and better running and idle, it will be best noticed after 5-600 +. I'd suggest to go for a cruz on the hwy to get it circulating but not necessary. You would be best repeating the treatment 2-4 tanks appart in my experience but depends on you, for 5-10000 km

13. Caleb dawson

Caleb dawson Member

Members Ride:
    1994 vr executive
    I've got a vr so could be different,but I had the same issue with hard starting and wierd idle and it ended up being my fuel pressure regulator,runs like a dream now and it has 330k on it