Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Startup and idle issues

Tasha13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bx
Hi first time post

I have a vx commodore 2000 that is impossible this week to start in the morning, temp have been cooler but this is ridiculous. Turns over then usually idles a few seconds then shuts off. if it actually idles it has a weird pause shudder intermittently.

After about 5 minutes of restarting swearing etc it something seems to change and the idle clears and I can drive it all day no issues. Could this be the iac or something throttle related maybe?

Has all new coils and module, new battery, leads and plugs done oct last year. New alternator and rocket covers and just redone the radiator hoses and coolant etc.

It won’t let me upload the video so hopefully this link works

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vn63dmvunhihu7/Video 15-11-18, 8 20 56 am.mov?dl=0

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
check the purge valve

Tasha13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bx
check the purge valve

Is this the purge valve solenoid? Drivers side at the rear of the motor? Sorry I can’t find a location diagram and manual shows no location either

Attachments

• F4EE362E-0DE6-4DD4-B97F-4BE7E02A99AC.jpeg
    F4EE362E-0DE6-4DD4-B97F-4BE7E02A99AC.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 80
  • F73B8F7F-AF69-42DB-9808-5BECF01D7E44.jpeg
    F73B8F7F-AF69-42DB-9808-5BECF01D7E44.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 115

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It couldn't hurt to clean the throttle body and IAC as well as the MAF. How many km's on those plugs?

Tasha13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bx
Throttle body was cleaned a month or so ago for me when I had idling issues. I changed plugs and leads only October last year. Spark from coils is really strong and once has finally started in the morning runs fine without skipping a beat all day. Just after it sits for 5 hours or more is a bitch to start again. I will check out the MAF and the IAC, I though maybe IAC at first.

Took it down to mechanic who’s done the bigger jobs for me to see if he could show me the purge valve and he didn’t even know what I was talking about I googled it for him and showed him and he said he’s never changed one so can’t be it. I think I need a different mechanic to do the things I can’t ‍♀️

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Throttle body was cleaned a month or so ago for me when I had idling issues. I changed plugs and leads only October last year. Spark from coils is really strong and once has finally started in the morning runs fine without skipping a beat all day. Just after it sits for 5 hours or more is a bitch to start again. I will check out the MAF and the IAC, I though maybe IAC at first.

Took it down to mechanic who’s done the bigger jobs for me to see if he could show me the purge valve and he didn’t even know what I was talking about I googled it for him and showed him and he said he’s never changed one so can’t be it. I think I need a different mechanic to do the things I can’t ‍♀️
it is possible you have a fuel pressure issue in my opinion. If it does eventually get started and runs all day, once the fuel pump loosens up or the fuel pressure increases or even any solid matter in the system like fule rails and lines or pick up can shift until after a long sit like 5 hrs it looses pressure or re clots again. Try some liquie Molly fuel system treatment in a gold steel 500 ml tin at repo about $24. You wont be disappointed with its effectiveness.

Tasha13

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bx
New fuel pump and filter 2 years ago, doesn’t mean that I haven’t picked up some dirty fuel with all the running around for cheap petrol these days though. At this point I am willing to try almost anything, it certainly can’t hurt when turning it over and it not firing it is like there is no fuel, if the purge solenoid is faulty that would affect the pressure also yes?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fuel pressure issues or fuel injector problem. A fuel pressure test wouldn't hurt. Could also be a tired fuel pump.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
New fuel pump and filter 2 years ago, doesn’t mean that I haven’t picked up some dirty fuel with all the running around for cheap petrol these days though. At this point I am willing to try almost anything, it certainly can’t hurt when turning it over and it not firing it is like there is no fuel, if the purge solenoid is faulty that would affect the pressure also yes?
lm not certain if it would..Why is it the problem.