Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Startup Noise Problem with Holden VT Commodore V6 - 1999

VtCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
So I went to the mechanics and they said it was a water pump. 300$ later, the noise is still there. Please help

The noise goes away as soon as the temp guage starts to raise.

Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLIo2TWjPHE

[YOUTUBE]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eLIo2TWjPHE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

D

devilly

could be harmonic balancer biggest round pulley look see if any rubbers missing,alternator or anything.
need to see the engine and how the front pulleys etc work and when you video move around the engine to where it's nosiest.

i listened again sounds like alternator bearing but can't be sure.whats the belt tensioner mark on ?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Remove the belt and start it. If it still makes the noise, it's not the alternator, aircon, waterpump etc. Only run it for long enough to check for noises.

If the noise is still there, check that the starter motor is disengaging.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Faulty thermostat might make a noise like that if it isn't sealing properly.
Might explain why noise goes away when engine warms up too.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
WTF? $300 just for replacing the pump?

I know right, ouch!

OP, just take it back and complain - they'll come up with something, if a water pump was out of your DIY skills then anything further would probably be too.

VtCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
Update !

Car sounds like crap now lol

Here is a video of recent changes with engine visible.

https://youtu.be/gc8RaoyUnv4

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gc8RaoyUnv4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

D

devilly

:( poor car :( from what i saw the power steering pump pulley looked a bit weird to me.

what i found works really well is get some wd40 and spray behind the pulley's trying not to over spray onto belt.

spray behind one of the pulley's start car wait a few second's if noise is still there,spray behind another pulley start car wait a few second's e.t.c.if this doesn't find the problem part then try

this, car off grab the water pump pulley see if you move it.and also the power steering pulley.

then this ,start car grab a piece of hose stick it in ear then move it around until you find the nosiest spot , be very careful.

and the noise sounded like it was coming from alternator,so it might be the alternator bearing or bushes inside it,on the way out.

also if you look straight down the side of the belt and pulleys see if everything looks straight ,then start car and see if you can see anything wobbling or out of alignment.

hope this helps to diagnosis it for you :)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The bearings are sealed, so the wd40 idea won't do anything. Pulling the belt off and starting it is the quickest and easiest way to diagnose.

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
+2 for what eyy said, and also devilly. Take the belt off, start the car briefly and see if noise remains. If the noise dissappears when belts removed then its one of ur pulleys. While the belts still on, turn ur a/c on and see if it gets worse, also turn ur steering wheel and see if it worsens. Or after the cars been running for a little bit, turn it off and carefully touch the front of the pulleys and see if one is hotter than the rest. Thatll highlight the culprit