Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

State of Decay - Refused R18+ classification in Australia

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Seriously? I remember GTA San Andreas had a giant dildo that you'd find at police station bathrooms and I think that was rated M17+

helmotbros

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute
Seriously? I remember GTA San Andreas had a giant dildo that you'd find at police station bathrooms and I think that was rated M17+

That was vice city but yeah CLASSIC lol. The whole world is going soft over this censorship crap.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
Sure we have an R18 rating now, but what that means, is that games deemed too violent or contained too much nudity or whatever that had to be dumbed down to fit MA, can now stay as they were and get an R rating. The system is stupid.

Does this mean that Dead Island should have been banned because the character Logan gains additional damage when he's drunk, which encourages us adults (read 'kids' according to the government) to drink more?

Does this mean that Watchdogs should be banned because you hack into people's phones etc, which could cause people who already worship Anonymous to join an illegal hacking ring?

Does this mean that The Sims should be banned because you can neglect your kids and let them pee everywhere, encouraging people to do it in real life for teh lulz?

Where does it stop? That last one was a joke but you get the point lol. Pretty sure, I have never ever played a video game that contains, how can I put it, excessive abuse or something, and thought "I want to do that in real life, yep let's go!" apart from Pokemon, but that was more of a "I wish I could do that in real life" hahaha

Mister_Q

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
The R18 classification still has certain guidelines that a game has to meet to get the classification. Step outside of those and it gets RC (Refused Classification = banned). That was always the intent of R18 and was one of the main arguments for having an R18 classification for games (that is: over the top games could still be banned). The "WTF I should be able to use drugs and probe butts if I want" attitude pretty much shows why the R18 classification took so long to be approved.

State of Decay and Saints Row 4 should both be able to get resubmitted with changes and get passed. Losing a single silly weapon and changing real world drugs into generic "health packs" isn't going make the games less fun to play.

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
The R18 classification still has certain guidelines that a game has to meet to get the classification. Step outside of those and it gets RC (Refused Classification = banned). That was always the intent of R18 and was one of the main arguments for having an R18 classification for games (that is: over the top games could still be banned). The "WTF I should be able to use drugs and probe butts if I want" attitude pretty much shows why the R18 classification took so long to be approved.

State of Decay and Saints Row 4 should both be able to get resubmitted with changes and get passed. Losing a single silly weapon and changing real world drugs into generic "health packs" isn't going make the games less fun to play.

As a gamer for many years, the thing I like seeing in new games is not so much the graphics but the realism within the game, how players & npc's interact with the environment, the items in the game, the mechanics of said items whether it be guns, cars, health, even dialogue etc & to me in this case, I see no problem in using an actual drug used in the game exactly the same as it would be used in real life. Yeah maybe if the player could become addicted and sit there in a sim-type environment popping pills and injecting morphene to top up his <whatever> meter, that's just wierd, but in the case with SoD I think it's stupid.

People found the GTA dildo funny, and the Saints Row dildo funny, I feel the wrong type of people are choosing what gets let through. I can understand you're technically raping people in the game I guess when you look at it that way, but come on, who would look at it that way? I look at it as a game, that's it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
The reason it got rejected was because they deemed it had no real purpose in the game other than to promote sexual assault.

Take it out, noones really going to notice.

Same with Fallout 3. They renamed Morphine to some made up name. Big deal.

Although I just feel the R18 thing here is silly. Essentially what theyve done is everything that WAS MA, has been moved to R18 and anything that was RC is still on the RC list or has a little bit of discretion.

All consoles next gen are region free. The only ones that will be missing out at retailers.

snowy01

lolwut
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Daily / VF SV6 /
Anyone remember NARC ? or Manhunt on the old PS2 days..

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
All consoles next gen are region free. The only ones that will be missing out at retailers.

Exactly, I said in a different thread that I don't care about our economy anymore, I'll shop overseas if it means none of this censored BS

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
So, because my character needs to take morphene to ease his pain/regain health, thus making for a more realistic approach, it gets banned because some tools are addicted to methamphetamines in real life and it gives people a negative influence. Sorry but that's their problem, if I want to use morphene in a game then I should be able to dang nabbit!

When are they going to stop treating us like kids? Then again, if I see something in a mvoie I don't think anything of it, but once I play it in a game, aw yeahh time to go do it in real life!! /sarcasm

As already stated, this is already a thing. Fallout 3 was originally deemed RC because you took morphine, all they did was change the name to med-X or some **** and it got MA15+.

the r18+ here isn't exactly to allow "worse" games in.
it is more along the lines of lets reclassify whats what.

which is a bit silly tbh.

This is spot on. Everyone's geeing up because we are going to have more violent, more brutal games, this isnt the case. If I was a gambling man I would bet COD: Ghosts will be R18+ even though all the other COD games got by with a MA15+ rating. Farcry 3: Blood Dragon copped a R18+ rating for a "High Impact Sex Scene" and I clocked that game and didn't see anything that suggested it was more then a MA15+ game. All the addition of a R18+ rating has done is allowed for more stricter control of who sees what.

R18+ games are now sold here.

HOWEVER, some games are still being denied the R18+ classification for some dumb reason.

Saints Row was denied because you have a Dildo Sword/Rocket Launcher type dealy.

Saints Row 3 had a giant purple dildo called The Penetrator. Served no purpose other then total degradation, there were even achievements associated with how many people you could kill with it. Still cleared a MA15+ rating.

Anyone remember NARC ? or Manhunt on the old PS2 days..

Manhunt is the most brutal game I have ever played. No surprize to me its still banned.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Saints Row 3 had a giant purple dildo called The Penetrator. Served no purpose other then total degradation, there were even achievements associated with how many people you could kill with it. Still cleared a MA15+ rating.

Dont need to tell me this. Im just looking at the RC report.
The game includes a weapon referred to by the Applicant as an “Alien Anal Probe”. The Applicant states that this weapon can be “shoved into enemy’s backsides”. The lower half of the weapon resembles a sword hilt and the upper part contains prong-like appendages which circle around what appears to be a large dildo which runs down the centre of the weapon. When using this weapon the player approaches a (clothed) victim from behind and thrusts the weapon between the victim’s legs and then lifts them off the ground before pulling a trigger which launches the victim into the air. After the probe has been implicitly inserted into the victim’s anus the area around their buttocks becomes pixelated highlighting that the aim of the weapon is to penetrate the victim’s anus. The weapon can be used during gameplay on enemy characters or civilians. In the Board’s opinion, a weapon designed to penetrate the anus of enemy characters and civilians constitutes a visual depiction of implied sexual violence that is interactive and not justified by context and as such the game should be Refused Classification.

A lot of games that received MA ratings under the old system were simply let slide.