Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Statesman carpet.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ssz crewman, wm caprice, 2018 prado, hq Belmont u
Am I right in thinking that carpet from a VR Statesman is too long to install in a VR Calais?

I was assured by a dismantler that the carpets were the same dimensions but the Statesman one seems to big for the rear footwell of the Calais.

Makes sense with the Statesman being LWB but the wrecker reckoned they only differed beyond the carpet...

At least it was a freebie.... Gonna be a pain to pull it out again though...

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
More rear leg room in a Statesman so it stand to reason that the carpet would be longer.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The carpet in Calais is the same dimensionally as Commodore while Statesman / Caprice is different. Yes it is longer in the rear footwell department thus it will be to large for the Commodore / Calais body.

Update !

Please read the next post by me that corrects what I have written above.

Last edited:

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that.... Free statesman carpet then if anyone wants it.....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi all,

I've done a bit of researching after my previous post and have worked out that the Statesman carpet is the same as Commodore / Calais dimensionally.

The extra room provided in the raer of Statesman / Caprice is obtained by placing the rear seats more backwards and thus why the extra wings are on the Statesman swab that normally have to be dealt with if fitting Statesman seats into a Commodore type body.

As the Statesman is built on the Wagon platform and the wagon and sedan carpets are interchangeable then that means the Statesman carpet should fit correctly into a Calais.

Hope that this makes sense.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bunches up terribly beneath where the rear seat cushion hooks in. Seems about 3 inches too long in the footwell.

The cutouts for the rear seat mounts are out by about the same...

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's very interesting, I'm always happy to put my hand up and say I'm wrong, which seems to be the case in this instance.

So what you are saying is that the actual foot well is 3 inches longer than Commodore ?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The Stato had the additional length built into the rear footwell. Take a look at a Stato and there is an additional panel between the lower rear door and wheel arch. That extra panel represents the additional wheelbase.
If the Stato carpet is in good nick, why not separate it mid way, as the front carpet should match the SWB? Then, using the old carpet as a pattern, shorten the rear section of carpet by cutting off the excess at the front, trimming it to match the old carpet, and butting up to the front carpet under the front seat. Have about a 50mm overlap, rear carpet under the front. The join will be virtually hidden under the seats and console and only readily visible between sears and pillar lower trim.

ringfeder3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Seems to be but the wrecker had the ssme view as you.. i like your idea but it just doesn't seem to fit......

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
I have fitted sedan carpet into a wagon with no problems. The wagon rear doors are longer but the rear footwell was the same as sedan.