Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Picked the new engine up yesterday, now to get started on it. (Now the car's all dirty after it's long drive out bush)

20130203_173301_zps206b29dc.jpg

(Pulled over by a funny cop on the way home who told me I can't have 16 cylinders on a stato haha)

Before I drop it in I am:
*Polishing Engine Covers, then painting the 5000 injection text black to make it pop then hit it with a high temp lacquer clear
* Painting Rockers covers old school holden V8 red with black highlights in 2 pak
* Cleaning & Polishing Throttle Body inside and out
* Inlet Manifold, Rocker Cover, Sump, Rear main seal gaskets to ensure no oil leaks
* New injectors
* New Plugs & Leads
* New Ignition Coil
* New Radiator
* New Water Pump

Old motors still running strong (apart from its few bottom end knocks/rattles) so am taking my time to get this one perfect before the swap

All my LED's arrived for interior illumination (have done heaps of LED conversions but never a stato, lots of little extra fiddly bits to do)

Can't wait to get the new engine in so I can strip the old one down for a 355 (Jecs's engine is my inspiration)

Last edited:

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
(Pulled over by a funny cop on the way home who told me I can't have 16 cylinders on a stato haha)

Haha nice sense of humour there. How does the 5L sound? Keen for a vid if you would do one

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Haha nice sense of humour there. How does the 5L sound? Keen for a vid if you would do one

Will do one on the weekend when it next leaves the garage, sounds tough.....needs more loud though....will be getting a new catback done for it as soon as the engine is in

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Engine is back on the trailer, ready for its trip down to Adelaide monday morning to get dropped in the car.....So hopefully by next weekend it will be running perfectly again :p

Then the real engine build can begin once I get the old block back ;P

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Well picked the car up this afternoon, after 4 days of stuffing around with fitment etc the new engine is finally in and running....purs like a kitten now, just need to order the new exhaust and get some new engine mounts/trans mount as they are both ruined and causing some thumping through the floor pan/steering wheel etc

LPG system is gone so I now have enough boot space to finish my audio install :p

It's nice to be able to pull into my garage without dumping 2L worth of oil in it haha.

Now to start stripping down the old engine.....let the fun begin :p

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
gd to see u fixed it sorry couldn't help with swap over

All good mate, good thing I had a workshop to do it in, ended up doing a lot more as the wiring loom was damaged/burned so had to resplice a lot of it, radiator was gone and removed the gas system so was a much bigger job than I was planning.

Just waiting for the exhaust to arrive next week and I will be set

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
gd gd , wat size exhaust ?

Well as this exhaust is so blocked/collapsed that it's almost stalling the engine I needed a temporary one so I am getting a single 2.5" with 1 muffler no res (will have a good volume to it)

Hopefully later in the year will change it over to a full stainless twin system