Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Isn't mine a bargain AJ? Haha.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Not by the time it gets here:p

Probably cheaper to road trip there than freight.

I drove to Wonthaggi a couple of years back just to pick up some wheels lol.....used a tank and a bit of fuel and did the round trip in a day.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
The amount i work that's not gunna happen ha ha.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So work was quiet today, I decided to use the arvo to remove the old LPG wiring looms, switches, boxes etc that have been sitting there for a year not doing anything.

Usually simple, but due to the incompetence of the LPG installer there was wires spliced all over the shop and in the worst possible places.

Now I don't like wiring at the best of times but this was just a mess.

Started here:
1465355_10201125815381189_1057873916_n.jpg

ended this evening here with most of the dash apart:
1947407_10201126578160258_1517141849_n.jpg

Got all the wiring sorted, but by then was too frustrated to put everything back together so left half the car scattered across the workshop and decided to replace my frustration with beer.

Just keeps adding to the reasons I hate LPG.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
Probably cheaper to road trip there than freight.

I drove to Wonthaggi a couple of years back just to pick up some wheels lol.....used a tank and a bit of fuel and did the round trip in a day.

I'll see you when you come to Warragul then ;)

I hate wiring as much as you mate. I'd get half of what you did and be all '#### this ****, I'm going home'

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Re-polished the wheels properly with the buff today....came out shmick, also put my new centre caps on.

20140120_140044_zps7a79ccc8.jpg

20140120_140934_zpsfa98a00f.jpg

20140120_173119_zps5ef7938f.jpg

20140120_173104_zpsaffa52d2.jpg
did you just buff the clear coat or did you run em down to the alloy....if the later what equipment/tools did you use?

also you have seen this add re the caprice wheels ...Im tapped out at the moe (bugga!) otherwise Id snap em up
holden statesman caprice vr vs rims holden | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Morphett Vale Area - Lonsdale | 1042896971

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
did you just buff the clear coat or did you run em down to the alloy....if the later what equipment/tools did you use?

also you have seen this add re the caprice wheels ...Im tapped out at the moe (bugga!) otherwise Id snap em up
holden statesman caprice vr vs rims holden | Wheels, Tyres & Rims | Gumtree Australia Morphett Vale Area - Lonsdale | 1042896971

shouldn't have shown me that link, I have spent enough this week haha (If I had the cash I would be on them straight away too)

If I recall correctly in regards to the polishing I did it in this order:
* Stripped the clear using paint stripper (brush on wipe off, takes a while to do a clean job)
* Wet sanded 800 grit
* Wet Sanded 1200 Grit
* Hit it with the buffer (I have a variable speed 180mm buffer & some Meguairs aluminium polish)
* Wet Sanded 1500 Grit
* Buffed again
* Wet Sanded 2000 Grit
* Final Buff

You can use a polish wheel from bunnings etc on a power drill but doesn't give anywhere near as good of a finish as the buff, with a buff it takes around 3 hours per wheel all up, with a drill based polish wheel much much longer.

Beware polished wheels are a lot of upkeep unless you plan to clear coat them, when you polish wheels to raw metal anything including water can oxidize/fade the wheels, I can only wash the car by hand now with plain water because if you get any car care fluids/products on the raw metal at all it stains it and you have to buff them again. (even when you wash by hand you need to dry the water that gets on the wheels immediately or the water will stain the wheels)

It's still worth it in the end but I don't drive the car daily so they don't see too much weather and grime but I will get around to 2k clearing them eventually.

Last edited:

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Thx for the info...someone has given mine a quick shot of clear at some time and 1 wheel has crows feet all over it :(
was thinking of getting em professionally done, but the cost out ways my fondness for the wheels :)