Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah I keep thinking they're too tall for the kind of driving I like to do which is why I'm reluctant to put them in...only got 4.11 & 3.45 gears so it's choice of tad extreme lol.

Needs to do another drive-by clip.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All going well I'll take the missus Calais out on the open road with 3.73 gears this weekend. I've been around the block a few times but not had a chance to stretch it's legs. Sure does accelerate better.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
And they made worthwhile difference? Easily noticed?

It does make a very noticable difference. 3.08 to 3.45 is a pretty big jump. And with the new 276 pushing the powerband up slightly higher than the old 268 was it definately helps it get up and boogy quicker.

0-60 even driving normally is much much better. I wanted to rebuild this LSD centre with 3.7's later down the track but I'm thinking this is actually the sweet spot for me now. As I live 45km out of Adelaide via a 110km/h freeway the 3.45's seem to rev really nicely on the freeway. Not being a daily I might still change my mind down the track and want 3.7's, who knows the car isn't a daily so it really doesn't make much difference in the bigger picture.

I've ordered a speedo corrector from Jaycar, I've read a few mixed reviews on the current version so we'll see how we go. There aren't really any other alternatives within a similar price bracket, the Jaycar unit is $50ish and the others all seem to be at least $200+

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
To report swearing in post or not to report. Hmmmmm

Yeah I also listened to it when it worked and sounded good.

It would be nice to try 3.7s
The 3.45s are still quite long and 4l60e 3rd will hold easily past 200 clicks. #askingforafriend, #closedcourse, #disclaimernotme

Same = x2

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It does make a very noticable difference. 3.08 to 3.45 is a pretty big jump. And with the new 276 pushing the powerband up slightly higher than the old 268 was it definately helps it get up and boogy quicker.

0-60 even driving normally is much much better. I wanted to rebuild this LSD centre with 3.7's later down the track but I'm thinking this is actually the sweet spot for me now. As I live 45km out of Adelaide via a 110km/h freeway the 3.45's seem to rev really nicely on the freeway. Not being a daily I might still change my mind down the track and want 3.7's, who knows the car isn't a daily so it really doesn't make much difference in the bigger picture.

I've ordered a speedo corrector from Jaycar, I've read a few mixed reviews on the current version so we'll see how we go. There aren't really any other alternatives within a similar price bracket, the Jaycar unit is $50ish and the others all seem to be at least $200+

3.45s made a nice improvement on my V6. If you don't mind can you please pop up the results of the Jaycar box. I need one but was quoted $340 from the bloke in Launceston who sells them. Even $200 is a stretch right now, I've blown the ute budget for the next six months. Right now I need to be putting as much as I can away to lodge plans to council for the new shed.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Will do mate, should be here in the next week or two knowing Aus Post's current schedule :/

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Tracked down a set of Caprice sill plates, came up pretty decent with a polish.

trXds9z.jpg

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
alot of places fk em trying to remove - look to be in great considering the age and the job they do

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
alot of places fk em trying to remove - look to be in great considering the age and the job they do

Yeah I'm pretty fussy with these sorts of things so it took me a while to find a set that hadn't been completely wrecked.

Gave the Simmons a clean while the metal polish was out, I forgot how well these things scrub up.
9fi4q2D.jpg

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute