Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
How did you go with the Jaycar box, was it a fizzer? Or did it work fine?

Ah yes, completely forgot about, it was so **** I gave up after about 45 mins and binned it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had heard that. I priced a good one up and it was around 340 bucks. I heard there are some for around 200 that are supposed to be ok. I have got used to mine with it reading wrong. So much so it's way down on the priority list.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
A few minor updates.

I've slowly started the VT brake conversion. I've upgraded to the VT master cylinder and VS Booster which feels amazing, pedal is nice and firm compared to soft and unresponsive feel of the factory unit.

My rotors and pads are still reasonably new so once they've worn down I'll put the VT Rotors/Calipers on but for now it's been a nice cheap upgrade to give me a bit more confidence in the OEM brakes. Best bang for the buck upgrade I've done coming in at <$100

DCqCGjI.jpg

I've also run air throughout the shed so I can easily hook up my air tools when needed. I built a hutch outside the shed to house the compressor as it was taking too much space inside. I mainly use 18v tools these days but air still has it's place.

Nf9iH41.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is the VS booster alone a decent upgrade with VR MC and single piston calipers? My brakes are pretty reasonable but if a VS booster will help even more I might consider it as it would be a cheap easy upgrade. Is it a straight fit with VR master or does it require a new bracket?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've also run air throughout the shed so I can easily hook up my air tools when needed. I built a hutch outside the shed to house the compressor as it was taking too much space inside. I mainly use 18v tools these days but air still has it's place.

Nf9iH41.jpg
I plan on putting my comp in a hutch when I build my new shed. It's surprising how much room they take up in a shed. I'm going to connect two compressors together in my new shed. I have a 3 piston 100L but it's not enough continuous air flow at 100psi when using the sandblaster. I plan on screwing a fitting to the back of the shed so I can use the sandblaster without having to run the hose around. Might even get a cover for the blaster and leave it out the back instead of wheeling it out full of sand or garnet.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Is the VS booster alone a decent upgrade with VR MC and single piston calipers? My brakes are pretty reasonable but if a VS booster will help even more I might consider it as it would be a cheap easy upgrade. Is it a straight fit with VR master or does it require a new bracket?

The reason you upgrade to the VS booster is because the VT master physically won't fit on the VR one. They changed the bolt pattern slightly for the master mounting point on the VS onwards.

I got the VS booster for $20 at a local wrecker.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yup, you need a different mounting bracket for the VT style booster. Worth the effort IMHO. I think Sydney Race Brakes used to supply em.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The reason you upgrade to the VS booster is because the VT master physically won't fit on the VR one. They changed the bolt pattern slightly for the master mounting point on the VS onwards.

I got the VS booster for $20 at a local wrecker.
Ahhh ok, I recently replaced my MC with the second to last, new OEM, VR ute one in existence. Ahh VS booster won't fit my MC regardless. Thanks for the info.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Been a while since the last update.

Because I can't leave anything well enough alone I swapped the rear resonator over from a 6" to a 4" which has really brought out the tone of the Flowmaster without making it obnoxiously loud or droney.
GeneFES.jpg

I found a speedo corrector that actually works for a reasonable price (unlike the Jaycar junk) which funnily enough is marketed for Falcon's however the speed sensors between falcons and commodores are so similar it worked straight out the box.
wA7Di3T.png

On Saturday I partipated in the Holden Tribute during the Supercars @ The Bend which was The Bend's way of paying tribute to Holden's closure this year by putting on a parade of Holden's around the full GT Circuit.

Well the race ran late and most of the spectators had gone home by the time we hit the track so we ended up having 2x full 7km laps at whatever speed we felt comfortable with. It's the first time I've been round that track and I must say it's an amazing circuit, not a single bump or imperfection.

Managed around 170km/h down the main straight which was all I felt comfortable with running with no helmet and VR brakes.

My dash cam went flat but managed to get a few pics from the car behind me.

9wB82lk.jpg

lqXm2We.jpg

sZasmnZ.jpg

After those few laps I definately need to get a move on with the rest of my VT brake conversion, the poor little VR rotors and calipers we're cooked by the end of it.