Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
RTS brand????

Looks nicer than cheap $70 alloy deep pan I bought for mine although main reason I got it was drain plug lol

Read on av8 temp sender better off tee'd off one of cooler lines...never got around to trying it never had heat issues even with 4500rpm stally ion a vh sle

Reactions: Lex

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
RTS brand????

Looks nicer than cheap $70 alloy deep pan I bought for mine although main reason I got it was drain plug lol

Read on av8 temp sender better off tee'd off one of cooler lines...never got around to trying it never had heat issues even with 4500rpm stally ion a vh sle

It's a Australian Rod & Custom brand, which I think is basically the RTS design but thicker material to avoid warpage.

Yeah I really really couldn't be bothered with trying to tee into a trans line.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So the water pump leak was getting worse so that cooling system job came up qucker than expected.

While I was at it I did the inlet manifold gaskets as they never sealed quite perfectly around the cooling jackets the first time around. And while I was at it I fired up the spray gun and resprayed the intake manifold black, I think it will look so much better with the black theme of my engine bay and will be a hell of a lot easier to keep clean.

VGkWA5n.jpg

mdux0qp.jpg

L1Kj1Y3.jpg

zQWDewz.jpg

IVlmURv.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What brand water pump? I was going through a pump ever six months at one stage.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
What brand water pump? I was going through a pump ever six months at one stage.

GMB which is pretty dissapointing as they are the best brand in V8 land, that one probably had maybe 20,000k on it over 5 years with decent coolant.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
GMB which is pretty dissapointing as they are the best brand in V8 land, that one probably had maybe 20,000k on it over 5 years with decent coolant.
Hmmm, I would have thought the V8 ones come from the same factory as V6 ones. I have heard that there are now GMB Japan and GMB China. Chinese ones have a decent warranty but you have to send it back for assessment and that costs freight. They will refund the freight if they deem it was an issue with the pump, but if they deem it's the owners fault then bad luck.... Plus they want you to have an invoice from a garage that proves it was professionally installed....... I suspect they do all the above to make it too hard to replace a pump that is merely poorly made....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Also I have had older GMB pumps on various vehicles that have done over 100k and are still going fine....

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Interesting, either way the V8 pumps are only around $50-60 new so it's not a huge deal, just an annoyance more than anything.

On my old VN SS I always used GMB pumps and had excellent runs with them.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah but it's not so much the cost of a pump, it's the time that could be spent doing something fun on your bus, not having to spend time replacing a part that should easily last five years, or 100k.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
YOE6SaM.jpg

Back together and running again, unfortunately I ended up in 14 day quarantine so I couldn't go to the parts stores to measure up hoses so the old rad hose is still there.

Looks so much cleaner without all the heater hoses.