Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Did you work out what was making it run hot?

I think it was a combination of shrouding, inaccurate sensor location and poor fan control.

I've since moved the coolant temp sensor for my autometer to where the factory one lives in the manifold rather than before the thermostat, seems a bit more accurate now.

The new fan controller also seems to be helping as it's got the smarts to be proactive about when the fans come on rather than reactive.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
After some heavy braking to avoid a roo last weekend and being horrified by the performance of the brakes under heavy load I've decided it's time to overhaul the braking system.

Master, booster and pads were ok but the brake hoses on the front calipers look like they are starting to swell a bit which isn't surprising being over 25 years old. The rotors were also starting to shudder after only 10,000km so may as well replace them as well.

I've rebuilt the calipers this week with new seals and pistons and while I'm at it gave them a much needed coat of paint.
6xz2goK.jpg

dtjx1v2.jpg

I've got new Bendix Ultimate pads and DBA T2 slotted rotors on the way along with a new set of braided front brake lines. Hopefully the thing should stop a whole lot better after this. I'd toyed with a VT brake conversion but decided to stick with what was original to the car for now.

In the meantime I've started diving into the world of TunerPro/EFI Live, it's amazing how much data I can pull from an ECU thats been around for over 30 years.
PhYamRB.jpg

Sra3c2y.jpg

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Made a big difference to mine when I used that combo.
I have heard that Ultimates ars a bit agressive on the rotors. Having said that i wonder if my hardended rotors need something that is harsher on the rotors, so they bite in a bit more, than QFMs i have.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I ran them years ago when I had a stato and yes they are hard on rotors as well as dusty for the wheels but they do stop well

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I had metalkings, then bendix ultimates, then QFM HPX and the QFM were a considerable improvement when braking from cold over the others and only ever had brake fade once. Was never able to get abs to kick in from 100kmph with decent tyres though. The stock brakes really are dangerous. I've driven a few vr/vs since I've done the full VT upgrade on mine, and I couldn't ever own one with stock brakes again. The VT upgrade is a no brainer - so much safer in a car that already lacks modern safety features

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah, my Navara and Focus both have big brakes which makes the VR feel like something from before we landed on the moon.

I think if it was a daily I'd definitely have done the conversion by now as highway traffic in peak hour is deadly around my way. I think I'll look at the VE conversion down the track over the VT as I can keep my current master and booster (the master is only 18 months old) and it will be easier to swap it back over to stock if I ever need to.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I found my brakes are not as good as they were with cheaper rotors. I find the hardened ones to be ok when cold but once really hot there is less bite. It must be the rotors as nothing else changed, brand wise. Braids all round make a marked improvement, especially with HPX but I am disappointed with the rotors. I'd like to go back to some non-hardened street rotors next time.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Now that my vp ute is auto I find the stock brakes a bit ordinary...in a hard stop/emegency situation reckon they'd be scary.Don't remember vr/s model being that crap tbh.

Weird thing is vh sle with big cam/low vacuum feels safer with smaller front brakes & front runners.

Will probably go vt brakes + m/cyl with vs booster sooner or later