Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Didn't want to try eldelbrock elbow with ls throttle body?
Nah not really, I like it looking older, not newer, even if that does sacrifice a bit of power etc.

how did the swap over go? any issues? loving the updates, keep em coming

Went well all being said, had to fab up the accelerator cable bracket and swap to a V6 cable which is a little more universal in it's mounting. Fuel rail and injectors went straight in, air cleaner fits with about 1cm to spare with the bonnet closed.

I re-routed a heap of the OEM wiring too that runs over the front of the engine while I was at it to clean things up. I as well had to extend the IAC and TPS loom up to the new throttle body which I did by running the wiring loom through the chassis rail to hide it then it pops out at the back of the engine. The main goal was to keep the wiring to a minimum. It's a shame where I live needs a heater, if I was in QLD I would have deleted all the heater hoses etc to keep it looking clean, I did however shorten them all and relocate the heater tap to underneath the brake booster rather than right in front of the engine like the oem placement.

Won't know too much more until I get the TPS in next week and can actually start it.

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
I remember when I did the 355 motor with the standard banana manifold. could definitely notice the power, but once I changed the manifold it was like a totally different engine - felt so much more angrier. You are going to be blown away with that first drive

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I remember when I did the 355 motor with the standard banana manifold. could definitely notice the power, but once I changed the manifold it was like a totally different engine - felt so much more angrier. You are going to be blown away with that first drive
Thats what I'm hoping!

Between the cam + rocker ratio the lift will probably be thankful for it

I've heard the throttle response from 4 barrels are amazing compared to the lazy banana. TPS bracket arrived Yesterday thankfully, mounting it up tonight and should have it started tomorrow.

Will post a vid when it's done.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah will come on strong where bananas fall off.

List of mods will work very nicely down the track when add bang for buck scat crank.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
It's running.

This was the first time it ran so there was a heap of kinks to work out, IAC wasn't stepping propely (hence the loud induction sound), the throttle cable was sticking a little bit returning to idle and I needed to reverse the polarity of the TPS wiring as the TPS is now mounted in reverse so I needed to change it from reading 99% at idle to 0% (so glad I have tunerpro so I can get live sensor readouts etc)

I've been working on it a bit this afternoon I've got the IAC issue sorted and the cable seems to be behaving now. Took it for a drive and holy **** what a difference. The throttle is responsive and immediately pushes you back in your seat at even 1/4 throttle, when the secondaries open it pulls like a freight train and the entire engine soundtrack changes.

Butt dyno easily says another 15-20kw and a mountain load more torque, the thing wants to turn tyres from a stand still.

Theres still a few little niggling issues I need to fix, I'd like to put an Aeroflow accelerator return spring on it to snap the throttle back a bit quicker when I left off and also give me a little more pedal feel as the primaries are very very light so theres next to no pedal weight etc.

Once I've got it all sorted and take it for a decent run I'll get a good video.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Wasn't a huge fan of the chrome looking natural billet of the TB so I wrinkle blacked it the same as the fuel rails and air filter lid.

bjAFczQ.jpg

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Nice mate always wanted to do that with my old 5 litre (vr clubsport) when I had it, any plans to add a cold air tray or something like that?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Nice mate always wanted to do that with my old 5 litre (vr clubsport) when I had it, any plans to add a cold air tray or something like that?

Maybe in the future yeah, you could definately feel the heat soak after an hour or so drive in 36 degrees today.

After some tweaking and adjustments in the tune this week it's running really well, took it for a decent drive today and other than a tiny coolant weap from one of the brass fittings it's spot on, it's definately brought out the lope in the cam.
a5l8Dhb.jpg