Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Project Phoenix - VR Grange tribute/replica

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
So the car is only in temporary storage at the moment, I rigged up a cafe blind to act as a weather sheild, the old man and I are going to build a new 12m x 4.5m garage in about 4 months. The existing carport has enough space to get the job done for now.

zspzUPY.jpg

But the real selling point was the man cave/engine building room portion of the drive which will be joined and incoporated into the new shed area.
ly63ozV.jpg

LBFI0io.jpg

PqazNk4.jpg

uSaC7GZ.jpg

PRiZl9M.jpg

Theres also another 3 x 3m shed behind this which I've set up as a metal/wood workshop for welding and building shennanigans.

This also kinda sold me on the place.
oMdkLf8.jpg

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Does that converter have a lock up clutch like the standard converter?

Betsy81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Good day mate Nice Stato. Did you use the standard PCM? Or did you have memcal modified ?
Cheers Bruce.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Does that converter have a lock up clutch like the standard converter?
Yep it does

Good day mate Nice Stato. Did you use the standard PCM? Or did you have memcal modified ?
Cheers Bruce.
Standard PCM, I did the memcal tuning myself, theres heaps of tutorials online to get started in EFI tuning, theres very few peope that still do dyno tuning for Delco PCM's anymore.

ACE Performance is the go to for memcal tuning if you want something made to order.

VN_SS_CM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
what accelerator cable did you end up using? I have the same setup as well airgap intake and the $300 shiny 4 barrel throttle body

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
what accelerator cable did you end up using? I have the same setup as well airgap intake and the $300 shiny 4 barrel throttle body

Bog stock VS V6 (Ecotec) cable, if your using the same TB as me be warned that you'll need to get the tune adjusted for IAC calibration. The stock parameters are way out and it will either idle way too high or way too low as the IAC chamber is much larger than the stock TB allowing more airflow and the distance from open to close is different. For example stock cold idle on the OEM TB was like 80 steps and it's about 30 steps on the new one which is a pretty big difference.

Also the TPS sensor mounts in the reverse position from the stock TB so you'll need to re-pin the TPS wiring in reverse polarity so it changes the ECU's reading from 100% throttle at idle or your gonna have a bad time.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the setup and I'd be happy to help.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Whipped up a quick and dodgy wall to convert the carport to a garage until the new structure is built (was finding it too hard to work with the winter breeze etc)

Not bad for $200 and a couple of hours work, should tide me over until Christmas so I can at least work on the car in the dry.

J3zcRKj.jpg

7CAk05k.jpg

I've got the hoist booked at the brother in laws tomorrow morning to slide the trans out and get the new converter in.
Uk2zYRv.jpg

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Converters in, holy crap what a difference to drive.

It's so much more streetable now with this cam at low speeds but also launches a hell of alot harder, worth every cent.

I forgot how heavy 4L60's are when they've got fluid.

aCDDo5p.jpg

6nJRGsq.jpg

Straight out the headers, cos why not.

Betsy81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore
Sounds Good .What size convertor did you put in? Yeh those 4L60 are quite heavy. Mine is a 4L60E.
Cheers Bruce.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sounds Good .What size convertor did you put in? Yeh those 4L60 are quite heavy. Mine is a 4L60E.
Cheers Bruce.

2500RPM, I'll probably go 3000 with my new engine combo when it's done.

Last edited: